Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Hbo has a new show called Game of Thrones, which is a medieval, fantasy epic, taken from a series of novels called A Song of Ice and Fire. It stars Sean Bean and Perter Dinklage, anybody know if these stories are anygood?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MophfvUlfI"]YouTube - Game of Thrones Teaser HBO[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FugGa_LGB-E"]YouTube - New HBO series: "A Game of Thrones" - Confirmed Cast[/ame]

Mar 2010
Czechoslovakia
Yes, i cant wait:)

Confirmation of stories:

[ame="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/"]Game of Thrones (TV Series 2011) - IMDb@@AMEPARAM@@http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYyMzc4ODE4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE4OTc2NA@@._V1._SX94_SY140_.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@BMTYyMzc4ODE4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE4OTc2NA@@@@AMEPARAM@@SX94@@AMEPARAM@@SY140[/ame]

My experience: TV series are not as good as books are, so my expectations are not too high... but time will show.

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Hbo has a new show called Game of Thrones, which is a medieval, fantasy epic, taken from a series of novels called A Song of Ice and Fire. It stars Sean Bean and Perter Dinklage, anybody know if these stories are anygood?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MophfvUlfI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FugGa_LGB-E
I have all four books and have extremely mixed feelings.

I really like George Martin's writing style and the story started out with a very interesting premise. I could not wait until the second book was written. That is the good. (I just swiveled around and saw one of the books on the top of my nearest book shelves! Coincidence!)

On the flip side, the first book came out about 15 years ago and if I remember correctly, it was supposed to be a trilogy. The count is up to four books and there is no conclusion in sight.

I've been through this before. Robert Jordan did the same thing. My opinion is that the publisher pushes the author to extend a series that sells well, the books lose focus, and I become discouraged, and a bit angry.

I'll spare you my Wheel of Time rant!

The Martin stories are much better than the Terry Goodkind series that has a real crappy TV series now. I quit on this series after about six books and about one quarter of an episode on TV.

Mar 2010
Czechoslovakia
Hello guys! I wish someone will create a TV series based on Black Company saga (Cook) or Malazan Empire (Erikson). I will praise him till my death. These books are pearls in my collection. Do you know these sagas?

To Edratman - i agree, books of Terry Goodkind were not excellent, i was also not able to finish my readings but i liked the series. I think second season was better than the first one. Cara was really great bad/good girl :)

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Hello guys! I wish someone will create a TV series based on Black Company saga (Cook) or Malazan Empire (Erikson). I will praise him till my death. These books are pearls in my collection. Do you know these sagas?
I read the first three Black Company books and thought the third one was very weak. I was surprised a couple years later to see some more, but I didn't bother to try it again.

The Malazan series by Erickson is another one that has lost focus and gone on too long. I really enjoyed the first couple, but I quit on it after I didn't see any new one for a while.

Mar 2010
Czechoslovakia
I read the first three Black Company books and thought the third one was very weak. I was surprised a couple years later to see some more, but I didn't bother to try it again.
I dont agree:) all 3 books from basic saga are awesome. But of course, we are unique human beings so every being has a different opinion.

The Malazan series by Erickson is another one that has lost focus and gone on too long. I really enjoyed the first couple, but I quit on it after I didn't see any new one for a while.
I bought entire Malazan saga when i was sick so i have read it at once. Really great.

Oct 2009
Vancouver
I have all four books and have extremely mixed feelings.

I really like George Martin's writing style and the story started out with a very interesting premise. I could not wait until the second book was written. That is the good. (I just swiveled around and saw one of the books on the top of my nearest book shelves! Coincidence!)

On the flip side, the first book came out about 15 years ago and if I remember correctly, it was supposed to be a trilogy. The count is up to four books and there is no conclusion in sight.

I've been through this before. Robert Jordan did the same thing. My opinion is that the publisher pushes the author to extend a series that sells well, the books lose focus, and I become discouraged, and a bit angry.

I'll spare you my Wheel of Time rant!

The Martin stories are much better than the Terry Goodkind series that has a real crappy TV series now. I quit on this series after about six books and about one quarter of an episode on TV.
You know I've always wanted to read the Martin books but just never have gotten round to it (bit like Discworld, which I just started reading a couple of months ago), so I will have to before I watch the show. I'm a Bean fan!

I don't know about the publisher's pushing for more books, Edratman, though it makes sense, all I know is that WoT was supposed to be a trilogy but according to Jordan the publisher extended it to seven since he tended to ramble on a bit. Don't know if that really is the case, but I must say I disliked, or rather, was not as impressed by Winter's Heart which sort of broke me and the other two (Crossroads of Twilight and Knife of Dreams) I didn't really like too much either, though I have enjoyed Gathering Storm so far, almost done.

Anyways, I won't derail this thread.

So, Sean Bean!

Vladd

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
England
Amongst some fans of ASOIAF the question is will he finish the latest book before the series catches up with him.

Similar History Discussions