Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I was thinking about something: will the Northern lords accept Jon swearing fealty to Daenerys? Yes, I know it's the 2nd Long Night and all that, but after all many Northern lords remember when Aerys II burned their liege lord, so it's not like they are big fans of the Targaryens. I would assume at least some of them would be disappointed with Jon's decision.

Sep 2010
Kragujevac,Serbia
Anything could happen, because D & D can pretty much do whatever they please to reach their end game, and are not constrained by anything, not even by internal logic of the story, as evidenced by many things in the last several seasons, but perhaps most obviously by the fact that Cersei is still alive when by all rights she should have been swiftly defeated early in the 7th season (and all that just because they are enamored by Lena Headey).

That said, for the interest of dramatic story-telling, I would assume that they will indeed go for the option of feud and trouble somewhere in the Northern sector, whether in the relation Sansa/Northern lords - Jon/Daenerys, or Jon - Daenerys (and the latter option also has the additional argument that it would be a massive waste of Chekhov's Gun, even for their standards, if nothing should come of the fact that neither Jon or Daenerys know that Jon is a Targaryen, and a legitimate one at that; if they have never planned for some trouble arising due to that knowledge, than there was absolutely no reason to postpone that reveal to the characters for the 8th season).

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
I hate to say this but in many ways i dont care what happens in the next season.

Up on my shelves i have a hardback first edition copy of every book except Storm of swords, I have every anthology book with the Dunk and Egg stories in as well as the comic version.

I have something like 21 years invested in the series and after the last one i get the feeling whatever turns up is going to be a GoT tribute show twinned with a soap opera to appeal to the shallow end of the fandom.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
That said, for the interest of dramatic story-telling, I would assume that they will indeed go for the option of feud and trouble somewhere in the Northern sector, whether in the relation Sansa/Northern lords - Jon/Daenerys, or Jon - Daenerys (and the latter option also has the additional argument that it would be a massive waste of Chekhov's Gun, even for their standards, if nothing should come of the fact that neither Jon or Daenerys know that Jon is a Targaryen, and a legitimate one at that; if they have never planned for some trouble arising due to that knowledge, than there was absolutely no reason to postpone that reveal to the characters for the 8th season).
I am actually worried that they will do the opposite and just have the Northern lords accept that they are once again ruled by a Southron monarch. Greatjon Umber said something like this when he proclaimed Robb Stark King in the North:
"What do they (the Southrons) know about the wolfswood, the Wall and the barrows of the First Men? Even their gods are wrong."
This shows that the North had and still has a lot of prejudice towards the Southrons and there are clues in both the books and the show that point to the conclusion that the North was never truly a part of the Seven Kingdoms.

Sep 2010
Kragujevac,Serbia
I am actually worried that they will do the opposite and just have the Northern lords accept that they are once again ruled by a Southron monarch. Greatjon Umber said something like this when he proclaimed Robb Stark King in the North:
"What do they (the Southrons) know about the wolfswood, the Wall and the barrows of the First Men? Even their gods are wrong."
This shows that the North had and still has a lot of prejudice towards the Southrons and there are clues in both the books and the show that point to the conclusion that the North was never truly a part of the Seven Kingdoms.
To be fair, you left out a very important and relevant part of his speech on the show:
"It was the dragons we bowed to and now the dragons are dead."

Judging by what we have seen of the Northern lords in the 7th season, I don't think they will just quietly accept Daenerys and Jon's actions, but again, that is assuming that D & D adhere to the internal logic of their own story, which is far from given.

Last edited:

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
To be fair, you left out a very important and relevant part of his speech on the show:
"It was the dragons we bowed to and now the dragons are dead."

Judging by what we have seen of the Northern lords in the 7th season, I don't think they will just quietly accept Daenerys and Jon's actions, but again, that is assuming that D & D adhere to the internal logic of their own story, which is far from given.
I don't see how that part of the speech changes anything. Yes, the Starks bent the knee to the dragons (now, the dragons might mean literal dragons or Targaryens, but it's irrelevant) and now they are free. If anything, it reinforces my point that the North never truly considered itself a part of the Seven Kingdos.

Sep 2010
Kragujevac,Serbia
I don't see how that part of the speech changes anything. Yes, the Starks bent the knee to the dragons (now, the dragons might mean literal dragons or Targaryens, but it's irrelevant) and now they are free. If anything, it reinforces my point that the North never truly considered itself a part of the Seven Kingdos.
Well, whatever your interpretation is, both dragons and Targaryens are back, so it changes everything. The conditions that their (presumed) spokesman underlined as necessary to bowing down to the authority of the "Southron" ruler are back, so I don't see why, if they are being consistent, they shouldn't accept the concept of kneeling, especially now that they are much weaker than their ancestors were back when they bowed down to Aegon the Conqueror.

Aug 2015
uk
My interpretation is that the North will bend to the overall rule of the South as long as they are left to follow their own customs and rules. The South gets peace and the throne with little interference from their Northerly neighbours. What good is a throne in the South to a Northerner?

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Well, whatever your interpretation is, both dragons and Targaryens are back, so it changes everything. The conditions that their (presumed) spokesman underlined as necessary to bowing down to the authority of the "Southron" ruler are back, so I don't see why, if they are being consistent, they shouldn't accept the concept of kneeling, especially now that they are much weaker than their ancestors were back when they bowed down to Aegon the Conqueror.
But they also bent the knee to a non-dragon (actually somewhat dragon) Robert Baratheon.

Sep 2010
Kragujevac,Serbia
But they also bent the knee to a non-dragon (actually somewhat dragon) Robert Baratheon.
Yes, but the half-implied half-said assumption of Umber's speech is that NOW, they would only bow down to a "Southron" ruler/claimant if they have a dragon (that is to say, an "unbeatable weapon"), which is the case at present.

Similar History Discussions