Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Jul 2015
Australia
Season 8 episode 5 currently has a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 47% the lowest rating ever for GoT and first below 50%. Overall I am not sure how I feel about it. On the first viewing I quite liked it though it was a bit depressing.

Dany bbqing everything would also have resulted in a lot of friendly fire I would think too. She could have killed hundreds of her own soldiers.

Season 8 has definitely been rushed and I think if they could have spent a few more episode's exploring Dany's descent into madness, episode 5 would have been much better received.

Last edited:
Jan 2009
Dany bbqing everything would also have resulted in a lot of friendly fire I would think too. She could have killed hundreds of her own soldiers.
Yes, definitely. She was pretty much crisscrossing the city with dragon fire, and while the Northerners seem to have stayed relatively close to the gates (although who knows with the looting and raping), the Unsullied were actually into the Red Keep if I understood Qyburn correctly. The Dothraki seem to have been all over the city, too.

I think that is the big issue that people have trouble with. If Dany had gone for the Red Keep directly rather than burning the whole city, at least I would have had much less problems with that. OK, she is killing thousands of civilians who are huddling in the courtyards, but she'd actually have a legitimate target: Cersei. What does burning the rest of the city that is supposed to be her capital achieve?

Lots of military stupidity abounded, too. The Golden Company was totally wasted. But one thing that really stuck out to me was this: Qyburn has shown himself to be a smart man. He knows that the ballistae are capable of killing a dragon on a good hit. They clearly put those ballistae out on the walls to defend against a dragon. But you have NO ballistae on the Red Keep itself? Might I remind you that a dragon FLIES? Dany could have just dropped onto the Red Keep and blasted it to bits around Cersei, while the ballistae of the Iron Fleet and on the walls would have been totally useless.

Speaking of stupidity and human shields... Missandei's execution in the previous episode. So I am facing a Dragon Queen who can burn my whole castle to slag. I am already thinking of human shield tactics by bringing civilians in. I have in my possession her best friend. Do I:
a) Kill her in front of the Dragon Queen, enraging her to burn my castle and city despite the civilians and robbing me of any leverage whatsoever, or
b) Tell the Dragon Queen that the friend will be always in my presence, so that she can't burn my castle and me without burning her friend, too, and also preserving the friend as a hostage/leverage until the attack is actually in progress?

Oh well. One more episode to go.

Reactions: Picard and macon

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Season 8 episode 5 currently has a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 47% the lowest rating ever for GoT and first below 50%. Overall I am not sure how I feel about it. On the first viewing I quite liked it though it was a bit depressing.

Season 8 has definitely been rushed and I think if they could have spent a few more episode's exploring Dany's descent into madness, episode 5 would have been much better received.
Episode 5 was fine. I also don't agree that Dany's massacre was from nowhere, someone well explained all her past executions. Disposal of Night King was a serious failure from a scriptwriting point, not this.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Yes, definitely. She was pretty much crisscrossing the city with dragon fire, and while the Northerners seem to have stayed relatively close to the gates (although who knows with the looting and raping), the Unsullied were actually into the Red Keep if I understood Qyburn correctly. The Dothraki seem to have been all over the city, too.

I think that is the big issue that people have trouble with. If Dany had gone for the Red Keep directly rather than burning the whole city, at least I would have had much less problems with that. OK, she is killing thousands of civilians who are huddling in the courtyards, but she'd actually have a legitimate target: Cersei. What does burning the rest of the city that is supposed to be her capital achieve?

Lots of military stupidity abounded, too. The Golden Company was totally wasted. But one thing that really stuck out to me was this: Qyburn has shown himself to be a smart man. He knows that the ballistae are capable of killing a dragon on a good hit. They clearly put those ballistae out on the walls to defend against a dragon. But you have NO ballistae on the Red Keep itself? Might I remind you that a dragon FLIES? Dany could have just dropped onto the Red Keep and blasted it to bits around Cersei, while the ballistae of the Iron Fleet and on the walls would have been totally useless.

Speaking of stupidity and human shields... Missandei's execution in the previous episode. So I am facing a Dragon Queen who can burn my whole castle to slag. I am already thinking of human shield tactics by bringing civilians in. I have in my possession her best friend. Do I:
a) Kill her in front of the Dragon Queen, enraging her to burn my castle and city despite the civilians and robbing me of any leverage whatsoever, or
b) Tell the Dragon Queen that the friend will be always in my presence, so that she can't burn my castle and me without burning her friend, too, and also preserving the friend as a hostage/leverage until the attack is actually in progress?

All you wrote is fine but after messing a night battle these are all fine tuning mistakes. I mind more annoying cutting through plate armor which should emphasize a strength of feelings in a childish way I suppose. A child wishes that bad people and bad world are gone when he closes eyes.

Military stupidities are such that officers would execute their leader because of them. Dany and Jon should be executed after their zombie dealing.

Jan 2009
All you wrote is fine but after messing a night battle these are all fine tuning mistakes.
The show jumped the shark way before that, but yeah, this season has been quite underwhelming. My previous post was focused on the attack on the King's Landing, and the issues during that.

I mind more annoying cutting through plate armor
Alas, that is a TV trope. At least Sandor didn't slice through Zombie-Clegane's plate (why would he even try), although he did manage to thrust through it, which is just slightly less unrealistic. I think Jorah's armor was shown to block some cuts and such in some of his fights, but by and large, armor-as-mere-clothing is alive and well, unfortunately.

That being said... I am actually better at overlooking that, since it IS such a common trope, and if the fights were more realistic, people would be carrying shields and using helmets, too. Not to mention it would take longer to shoot the fights, and to be honest, I am not watching the show for HEMA re-enactment value. Jon Snow slashing people in the chest/stomach and taking them down with a single swipe is more of a storytelling shorthand for me, and not nearly as annoying as characters acting like total idiots, and the internal consistency of the world getting tossed back and forth. For example, the night battle showing the Dothraki almost killed to a man, and the same with the rest of the defenders, pretty much leaving only the named characters standing. And then the next episode said that oh no, we lost only half. WTF??? And then Dany getting a dragon and her fleet destroyed, but then in this episode, Jon gallivanting across the sea to Dragonstone and Dany & rest of her army landing basically next to the King's Landing, with the Iron Fleet doing absolutely nothing to stop that.

Reactions: macon

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
when told there would be only six episodes , the writer had to just throw the whole thing into a heap
since they are not very good they just butchered it

for me the major flaw was getting the battle of the whites before the king's landing stouch

it's like putting saving the world as a lesser prelude to who will win the pretty bauble

it also could have plenty of characters killed in one great finale

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north

The defenders of D&D are hellbent on justifying entirety of episode 5 by saying Dany was mad. But beheading Missandei was the stupidest move I've seen upto now in GOT. Given that it came from a bunch of smart guys such as cersei and quyburn, hell Cersei was the one who even advised Joffrey against beheading Ned stark right until he actually did it.
We are left with no choice but to admit D&D are nutjobs who really haven't been through the characterization arcs thoroughly.
Good point on scorpions.
But in Quyburn's defense, Dany is portrayed a fool to again take all those fleet and scorpions head-on despite losing one dragon to them and nearly losing another once.
Tyrion, Ser Davos and Co. are portrayed further fools, never to suggest her the risk of doing this. Moreover I'm surprised nobody even suggested the obvious solution which was right there; if the scorpions are the problem, just cover your dragon with an armor!

Reactions: Picard
Aug 2014
pakistan
Episode 5 was fine. I also don't agree that Dany's massacre was from nowhere, someone well explained all her past executions. Disposal of Night King was a serious failure from a scriptwriting point, not this.
I dont recall Dany massacring innocent women , children and men deliberately before this episode. Executing some persons for proved or alleged crimes is one thing, and "burning them all" is some thing else. Most probably Dany in books will also gradually become mad in the books but i highly doubt she will be suddenly switched like in this episode.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
She lost a lot of her dothraki , she saw a friend beheaded , she lost two of her dragons children
her advisers are pretty dumb or treacherous , she would have been better off ignoring their advices
her entreaty to Jon have been ignored and now she is to be discarded like an old sock
nobody seems to care
either she cry , get drunk or display the power of fear and rage
my only beef is that it was miserably acted , Daenery acting is as believable as her blondness

Reactions: macon