Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
As I said before: if you chose to ignore shitty writing - because show!Stannis is nothing like book!Stannis - then there are two possible explanations: fervent belief, and desperation. Personally, I go with the latter.

Wedding gift, yes, but she didn't gain those eggs on her own. And she hardly manipulated Khal Drogo, though my memory may be bit iffy on that detail. Burning, as you point out, was likely a fluke.

And everything else you point out she gained by possessing three dragon eggs and having people underestimate her. But had she been in the Westeros from the outset, I'd say she would have gotten eaten alive.

To wit:
* she gained three dragon eggs as a gift
* her marriage to khal Drogo was negotiated by Ilyrio, who gave her those dragon eggs in the first place
* she became Drogo's favourite wife because of her unique looks and her willingness to please him - all of which was thanks to advice from her maids, which were gifted to her by Viserys
* she survived to hatch dragon eggs by accident
* she gained the Unsullied because she had dragon hatchlings and could control them
* she gained the Second Sons etc. because Daario was infatuated with her
* she gained Jorah Mormont, Ser Barristan etc. because they had literally nowhere else to go, or at least believed that to be the case
Not a single thing on this list was fully earned, all had aspects of either a gift or sheer dumb luck, even if some did have to be worked for to some degree.
* she also flew away from Mereen once things got problematic, leaving her advisors to rule
* she defeated the attack on the city because of a) dragons and b) her enemies' propensity for usage of slave armies
* she consistently opts for the most cruel or at least very cruel solution, only to have her advisors talk her out of it - her first impulse in any given situation is to burn her enemies, as well as any innocent people who happen to be in the way (she wanted to burn Quarth, Astapor, Yunkai, Mereen and King's Landing - it was always her advisors who talked her out of it; she did burn Randyll and Rickon Tarly without offering them the possibility of taking the black, or taking them as hostages)

Compare with Stannis:
* he had literally the worst starting position out of all the original contenders
** very small population base
** limited finances
** was fairly unpopular because he was not a liar and a cheat
*** everybody outside Stormlands (the area he ruled) actively hated him
* he only ever burned criminals (in the books, showrunners admittedly changed that=
yet
* he managed to gain himself the Reach army by double-crossing his brother (murdering Renly before Renly could murder him) - albeit there he was lucky by having Melisandre
* he nearly took the King's Landing, a city usually believed to be nearly impregnable, and only failed due to sheer dumb luck on Tywin's part / Robb Stark's lack of communication skills (Lord Tully intercepted his host, allowing Tywin to be in position to help King's Landing in time)
* he defeated a Wildling army many times the size of his own host

And if you want to know the real hero of the story, Jon Snow:
* he was born a bastard, which was a disadvantage compared to other highborns (though it did allow him access to education and training)
* he forfeited his noble name to join the Night's Watch
* he was chosen as steward for Lord Commander Mormont (first time he did not earn something)
* he rose through ranks and was eventually elected Lord Commander
* he held the Wall against Wildlings until Stannis came
* he negotiated or at least helped negotiate peace with Wildlings and their inclusion into Night's Watch and, later, Stark forces
* he got himself killed by being too f***ing honorable, but got resurrected (second time he did not earn something) - this is where the books end
* he won Battle of Bastards thanks to Sansa's help (third time he did not earn something)
* he was elected King in the North
* he negotiated first access to obsidian, and then alliance with Daenerys (though there he had help from Davos Seaworth and Dany's obvious infatuation)

I could find quotes from the books, but his reasoning in nutshell was "nobody likes me anyway, so why the hell not".

ROFL, you probably spent hours typing that out and in the end Stannis and Jon Snow both were legitimate messianic figures, who legitimately believed, and were dramatically set up to be, saviors of humanity. LOLOLOL

Dec 2018
Cheyenne
Sandor killed 3-4 fully plated kings guard in 20 seconds whilst walking up stairs. Even if kings guard aren't what they used to be in the days of Sir Arthur Dayne your average knight would still be rather formidable for 1 man.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Sandor killed 3-4 fully plated kings guard in 20 seconds whilst walking up stairs. Even if kings guard aren't what they used to be in the days of Sir Arthur Dayne your average knight would still be rather formidable for 1 man.
Was that before or after the scene were the blond chick riding a dragon that blew up a castle made of brick shaped dynamite hit by a flame thrower?

Jan 2009
I am not too bothered by that. The Hound is supposed to be one of the best fighters in the series, and Ser Barristan Selmy was quite dismissive of the other Kingsguard members when he was dismissed. And I seem to recall Jaime was unimpressed when he returned, too.

Reactions: Picard and Fiver

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
"Even now, I could cut through the five of you like carving a cake." - Ser Barriston Selmy speaking to the Kings Guard

Dec 2018
Cheyenne
"Even now, I could cut through the five of you like carving a cake." - Ser Barriston Selmy speaking to the Kings Guard
And yet we don't see any feat like that in the books. Jaime was able to kill 3 of Robb's personal guard (just regular guys in positions of repute to curry favor with 2 minor houses) before being captured at Whispering Wood, Jaime was widely regarded as top 3 in the 7 kingdoms.

7 of Ned's Northmen overwhelm Sir Arthur Dayne, Oswell Went and Gerold Hightower who were all legendary fighters and Arthur being considered one of the greatest of all time.

Martin is fairly realistic in his depiction of combat. No matter how good a fighter is you are at an extreme disadvantage against multiple opponents. Hell in the books Sandor is wounded grievously not by Brienne in a one on one battle but against 3 rando psycho's.

Reactions: macon and Picard
Jul 2015
Australia
I pity the poor soldiers on clean up duty who had to clean up the hundred's of thousands of dead human and wight bodies after the Battle of Winterfell and now need to clean up another few hundred thousand burnt bodies after the Battle of Kings Landing.

From the preview for episode 6 I am getting major Darth Vader, 'Triumph of the Will' vibes from Dany's scenes. It looks like there is more Unsullied then ever before now! :winktongue:

If somehow Dany is assassinated the Unsullied, Dothraki and Drogon will riot! Can't wait for episode 6.

Last edited:

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
While many present ranged from meh to pathetic, the five also included Sandor Clegane, who was rated in the top in terms of Westeros swordsmen. So just a boast by Selmy.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
I pity the poor soldiers on clean up duty who had to clean up the hundred's of thousands of dead human and wight bodies after the Battle of Winterfell and now need to clean up another few hundred thousand burnt bodies after the Battle of Kings Landing.

From the preview for episode 6 I am getting major Darth Vader, 'Triumph of the Will' vibes from Dany's scenes. It looks like there is more unsullied then ever before now! :winktongue:

If somehow Dany is assassinated the Unsullied, Dothraki and Drogon will riot! Can't wait for episode 6.
Tyrion has been giving such terrible political advice because he's been hard at work creating a cloning machine for the Unsullied and Dothraki.

Click...Unit Ready. Click...Unit Ready...

Reactions: macon
Jul 2015
Australia
I would rate episode 5 (RT rating 47%) better than episode 3 (RT 75%). With more character development and writing I think episode 5 could have been a solid 100%. So near and yet so far.

One thing that should be taken out is the fight between Jamie and Euron. So dumb. Even after getting stabbed badly Jamie is still walking around like it's just a flesh wound. :think:

Last edited: