Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Oct 2012
I would rate episode 5 (RT rating 47%) better than episode 3 (RT 75%). With more character development and writing I think episode 5 could have been a solid 100%. So near and yet so far.

One thing that should be taken out is the fight between Jamie and Euron. So dumb. Even after getting stabbed badly Jamie is still walking around like it's just a flesh wound. :think:
Also, Euron apparently being the only person to survive his ship sinking...

The showrunners keep putting named characters into situations where they are rather implausibly the only one to survive. Euron wasn't the only example from that episode. We also get Arya being the only survivor out of her little group of fleeing civilians.

Jul 2015
Australia

The showrunners keep putting named characters into situations where they are rather implausibly the only one to survive. Euron wasn't the only example from that episode. We also get Arya being the only survivor out of her little group of fleeing civilians.
Maybe Arya was the only survivor in the whole of Kings Landing! (except the horse). :zany:

I'm sure in episode 6 though it will show 'most' (50%?) of the Kings Landing common people survived somehow. :winktongue:

Jan 2017
Sydney
Euron and Bronn are now supernumary to pretty much anything and should have been culled
Euron having a fiery death cursing the Dragon which burn him could have been cute

Bronn , broken by falling masonry , leaving the town limping ,with only the clothes on his back
after such hopes , such a fall back to his old station

Oct 2011
Croatia
I have read the books a long time ago so I forgot a lot of things, but if this is true, then Stannis absolutely does not deserve the throne.
How did you come to that conclusion? Remember what I wrote before: Stannis was desperate. He knew he was unpopular, he knew he didn't have support enough or resources to take the Throne (seriously, Stormlands are one of the economically and militarily weakest areas of Westeros). He had to take any advantage he could get. And besides, who are the alternatives? Of the original contenders: Renly, who believes he will be better king merely because he is prettier more popular; Joffrey, a psychopathic hellchild; Robb, who wants independence and not the throne; Balon, who wants independence and not the throne? Daenerys did not / will not move to Westeros until after Stannis' death, and neither did/will Jon Snow seek the crown until after it.

ROFL, you probably spent hours typing that out and in the end Stannis and Jon Snow both were legitimate messianic figures, who legitimately believed, and were dramatically set up to be, saviors of humanity. LOLOLOL
I didn't spend hours typing it, but I would still appreaciate a proper reply, thank you very much.

Yeah, they seem to be afraid of killing popular characters. Fairly common thing, actually, but rather galling after the books where named characters drop dead for a single stupid decision.

Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
  • Maki

Maki

How did you come to that conclusion? Remember what I wrote before: Stannis was desperate. He knew he was unpopular, he knew he didn't have support enough or resources to take the Throne (seriously, Stormlands are one of the economically and militarily weakest areas of Westeros). He had to take any advantage he could get. And besides, who are the alternatives? Of the original contenders: Renly, who believes he will be better king merely because he is prettier more popular; Joffrey, a psychopathic hellchild; Robb, who wants independence and not the throne; Balon, who wants independence and not the throne? Daenerys did not / will not move to Westeros until after Stannis' death, and neither did/will Jon Snow seek the crown until after it.
So he decided to adopt a religion no one follows? He basically made it impossible for the Faith of the Seven to accept him as king and we know how powerful the Faith is.

Oct 2012
On Stannis & religion...

I believe the book version doesn't believe in any gods (including the Lord of Light), but has embraced the Red Witch and her religion because of it's utility.

"I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men. "
“A sacrifice will prove our faith still burns true, Sire,” Clayton Suggs had told the king. And Godry the Giantslayer said, “The old gods of the north have sent this storm upon us. Only R’hllor can end it. We must give him an unbeliever.”

"Half my army is made up of unbelievers,” Stannis had replied. “I will have no burnings. Pray harder.

Jul 2012
I dont recall Dany massacring innocent women , children and men deliberately before this episode. Executing some persons for proved or alleged crimes is one thing, and "burning them all" is some thing else. Most probably Dany in books will also gradually become mad in the books but i highly doubt she will be suddenly switched like in this episode.
Kings Landing is the 5th city that Danaerys threatened to burn to the ground. She was talked out of it before, but now most of her advisors are dead and she doesn't trust the rest. As to massacres, at Asapor, Danerys ordered the Unsullied to kill every master ecept for the children. Executing people for alleged crimes is anything but just. Incinerating the Tarleys for refusing to become her slaves is anything but just.

Jul 2016
USA
Kings Landing is the 5th city that Danaerys threatened to burn to the ground. She was talked out of it before, but now most of her advisors are dead and she doesn't trust the rest. As to massacres, at Asapor, Danerys ordered the Unsullied to kill every master ecept for the children. Executing people for alleged crimes is anything but just. Incinerating the Tarleys for refusing to become her slaves is anything but just.
Alleged crimes. LOLOLOL

Jul 2012
And yet we don't see any feat like that in the books. Jaime was able to kill 3 of Robb's personal guard (just regular guys in positions of repute to curry favor with 2 minor houses) before being captured at Whispering Wood, Jaime was widely regarded as top 3 in the 7 kingdoms.

7 of Ned's Northmen overwhelm Sir Arthur Dayne, Oswell Went and Gerold Hightower who were all legendary fighters and Arthur being considered one of the greatest of all time.

Martin is fairly realistic in his depiction of combat. No matter how good a fighter is you are at an extreme disadvantage against multiple opponents. Hell in the books Sandor is wounded grievously not by Brienne in a one on one battle but against 3 rando psycho's.
It's a bit late to be complaining about realistic odds. In Season 3, when Jorah, Grey Worm, and Daario try to sneak in the back gate of Yunkai, they are outnumbered 3-to-1, yet dispatch the guards quickly, without taking any injury. A second set of guards arrive and the trio are now outnumbered 5-to-1. When we next see the three, they are barely scratched.

Jul 2012
While many present ranged from meh to pathetic, the five also included Sandor Clegane, who was rated in the top in terms of Westeros swordsmen. So just a boast by Selmy.
The five mentioned did not include Sandor Clegane, he wasn't appointed to the King's Guard until after Barriston left. As I've noted, even in early seasons Daario, Grey Worm, and Jorah easily dispatched nameless soldiers who out numbered them 3-to-1, followed by an immediate 5-to-1vattle where they were barely scratched.

Similar History Discussions