Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Jul 2016
USA
The five mentioned did not include Sandor Clegane, he wasn't appointed to the King's Guard until after Barriston left. As I've noted, even in early seasons Daario, Grey Worm, and Jorah easily dispatched nameless soldiers who out numbered them 3-to-1, followed by an immediate 5-to-1vattle where they were barely scratched.
My bad, Clegane, in attendance, is literally appointed the second after Selmy storms off. Meanwhile, a two handed Jaime Lannister is present, who is also acknowledged as one of the greatest swordsman in Westeros. So again, IT WAS A BOASTFUL CLAIM.

As for the rest, you're comparing a scene from the tv series that was based on the book, nearly word for word, and then comparing it to another scene from the tv series where D&D didn't follow the book and did their own thing, which is the reason the show ended up sucking.

Oct 2011
Croatia
So he decided to adopt a religion no one follows? He basically made it impossible for the Faith of the Seven to accept him as king and we know how powerful the Faith is.
Never said it wasn't a politically bad move. I just explained why he may not have seen any other option. If you are going to have a) no followers and no magic, or b) no followers and magic, which are you going to chose? That is how he saw it, whether he was correct about it or not I cannot say for sure - but he most likely was.

Oct 2011
Croatia
My bad, Clegane, in attendance, is literally appointed the second after Selmy storms off. Meanwhile, a two handed Jaime Lannister is present, who is also acknowledged as one of the greatest swordsman in Westeros. So again, IT WAS A BOASTFUL CLAIM.

As for the rest, you're comparing a scene from the tv series that was based on the book, nearly word for word, and then comparing it to another scene from the tv series where D&D didn't follow the book and did their own thing, which is the reason the show ended up sucking.
What he was saying is that he could kill the five Kingsguard and Joffrey. Neither Sandor nor Jamie were included in the number, as we see five Kingsguard mooks in front of the Throne.

In other words, he was not comparing his skill to Jamie or Sandor, but only to your average Kingsguard mook. Or in other other words, it was not a boastful claim.

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Alleged crimes. LOLOLOL
Remember when Barriston was killed by the Sons of the Harpy? Danaerys had the heads of the noble houses of Mereen rounded up and had one of them killed and eaten by her dragons. Danearys directly told the nobles that they might all be innocent. She clearly didn't care about the guilt or innocence of the man she had killed and watched impassive as her dragons devoured his corpse. People have given Danaerys slack because most of the people she had killed were bad people, Danaerys has always been cruel and vindictive.

Jul 2016
USA
Remember when Barriston was killed by the Sons of the Harpy? Danaerys had the heads of the noble houses of Mereen rounded up and had one of them killed and eaten by her dragons. Danearys directly told the nobles that they might all be innocent. She clearly didn't care about the guilt or innocence of the man she had killed and watched impassive as her dragons devoured his corpse. People have given Danaerys slack because most of the people she had killed were bad people, Danaerys has always been cruel and vindictive.
LOL. A gigantic insurgency led by the masters of Mereen and Dany has one of them executed after her bodyguard is killed and the captain of the Unsullied severely wounded, as well as the deaths of numerous others. What was she supposed to do? A ruler doing things that rulers do and you think that is cruel or vindictive.

I think Game of Thrones, history as a whole, might be too extreme for you.

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
LOL. A gigantic insurgency led by the masters of Mereen and Dany has one of them executed after her bodyguard is killed and the captain of the Unsullied severely wounded, as well as the deaths of numerous others. What was she supposed to do? A ruler doing things that rulers do and you think that is cruel or vindictive.

I think Game of Thrones, history as a whole, might be too extreme for you.
Danaerys did not have one of the leaders of the Sons of the Harpy executed, she had a random nobleman executed and clearly said that she had no idea if the man was guilty or innocent. It wasn't justice, it was vengeance.

The world of Game of thrones is crueler than the modern First World, but even in the setting, Danarys' punishments have appalled the people of her world. The slavers ruled by cruelty, and Danerys matched or exceded their worst cruelties The Dothraki khals ruled by cruelty, and Danaerys matched or exceeded their cruelty. Even before season 8, Danaerys showed she was just as cruel and vindictive as her brother, just as willing to incinerate real or imagined enemies as her father. People have given Danaerys a pass since most of the people she killed were bad people, but she's always had this darkness.

Jul 2016
USA
Danaerys did not have one of the leaders of the Sons of the Harpy executed, she had a random nobleman executed and clearly said that she had no idea if the man was guilty or innocent. It wasn't justice, it was vengeance.

The world of Game of thrones is crueler than the modern First World, but even in the setting, Danarys' punishments have appalled the people of her world. The slavers ruled by cruelty, and Danerys matched or exceded their worst cruelties The Dothraki khals ruled by cruelty, and Danaerys matched or exceeded their cruelty. Even before season 8, Danaerys showed she was just as cruel and vindictive as her brother, just as willing to incinerate real or imagined enemies as her father.
The random nobleman wasn't, the leaders of the Sons of the Harpy were all the masters, the noblemen. It wasn't vengeance, because it was done as justice. Just because you disagree that executions aren't just doesn't make you right.

Dany never remotely matched the cruelty of the slavers. LOL

Her brother told Dany flat out that he'd let an entire army rape her if it meant he'd get his army. He pulled a sword on her, told her he'd cut the baby out of her belly if the Dothraki didn't abide by the agreement when he sold his damn sister to him. You're out of your mind if you think she was as bad as him, until D&D wrote and produced season 8.

People have given Danaerys a pass since most of the people she killed were bad people, but she's always had this darkness.
LOLOL, you're watching a show called Game of Thrones, about kings and queens fighting it out for power, and you're literally complaining about someone killing bad people, whereas half the cast makes it a point to evily and gleefully kill good people.

What else about the show offends you?

Aug 2014
pakistan
Incinerating the Tarleys for refusing to become her slaves is anything but just.
She did not ask Tarlays to become her "slaves". Tarlays refused to bend the knees and she executed them, as any king would. . That action did not convince the audience that she has madness streak. Show-runners should have come up with some thing else to portray her descent into madness. In the same universe Stannis is burning traitors alive but no one is calling him "mad". Dont apply morals of real world and 21st century on Song of ice and fire fantasy universe of GRRM the inspiration of which is medieval history.

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
The random nobleman wasn't, the leaders of the Sons of the Harpy were all the masters, the noblemen. It wasn't vengeance, because it was done as justice. Just because you disagree that executions aren't just doesn't make you right.
Danaerys said that she had no idea if any of those nobles were supporting the Sons of the Harpy. How is randomly executing someone who you admit may be innocent anything resembling justice?

Dany never remotely matched the cruelty of the slavers. LOL
I see you forgot about the crucifictions she ordered. That was a deliberate matching of the slavers cruelty

Her brother told Dany flat out that he'd let an entire army rape her if it meant he'd get his army. He pulled a sword on her, told her he'd cut the baby out of her belly if the Dothraki didn't abide by the agreement when he sold his damn sister to him. You're out of your mind if you think she was as bad as him, until D&D wrote and produced season 8.
Agreed, her brother was scum, but Danareys watched his horrific death unflinching, then mocked her brother. She's been shown as cruel and vindictive, even in the early seasons, well before the series got ahead of the books.

LOLOL, you're watching a show called Game of Thrones, about kings and queens fighting it out for power, and you're literally complaining about someone killing bad people, whereas half the cast makes it a point to evily and gleefully kill good people.

What else about the show offends you?
The only people offended are the ones who think Danaerys was out of character in the last episode. I am not complaining about Danerys executing bad people,. I'm pointing out that her executions were seen as cruel even in the cruel world she lived in. I'm pointing out that some of those executions were made with no attempt to determine if the executed was guilty. I'm pointing out that Kings Landing was the 5th city Danaerys threatened to destroy. I'm pointing out that Danerys has ordered massacres. People gave her a pass, because most of those she killed were bad people, but even in the early seasons, Danerys was shown to be only a couple bad days away from becoming her father. She'd had more than a few bad days when Missande was killed -at that point I would have been amazed if Danaerys hadn't burned Kings Landing.

Similar History Discussions