Gandhi: Your assessment of his character & contribution to winning Indian Independence?

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Pakistan is a minor power compared to India, so defeating it is not really a display of Indian martial prowess. That being said, in the last skirmish between the two countries, it was Pakistan that got to parade a captured Indian pilot in public. Didn't look good for India.

If India really wants to display its martial prowess, conquer back the Pakistani occupied Kashmir, or the Chinese occupied areas.
An old Mig Bison could easily be downed by an F-16. But remember that before getting hit by an F--16, the Indian pilot had downed one F--16 already. And the POK will be one day with India, cannot predict how or when. But be sure that it will happen. Similarly the portion of Aksai Chin swallowed by the PRC will be got back. History is a long story not meant for cartoon strip readers.

Last edited:

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Why just brahmins? Everybody joined the British. Hindus, sikhs, Muslims. It was the question of livelihood. I am sure, Dalits also were recruited by the British - Mahars and Madras Sappers, for example. Just as they are doing even now. Kings and Nawabs joined the Delhi Durbar.
For your information, Kandal, many of the freedom fighters who fought the British and were hanged to death were Brahmins.

Last edited:

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
To display India's martial powers ? Indians do not need to do that. Our army has thrashed Pakistan army in three major and countless minor encounters since 1948.
1971 was a clear victory over Pakistan. Other ones are debatable.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
For your information, Kandal, many of the freedom fighters who fought the British and were hanged to death were Brahmins.
May be, I am not sure, but lots more Brahmins were hardcore supporters of the British, and aided them in many ways as I have already pointed out.

Also don't forget that the man who murdered the Gandhi, the father of the nation, was also a Brahmin. He was also hanged to death.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Many people wanted Gandhi killed at that time, one did. How does it matter if he was a brahmin or a kshatriya or any other? Gandhi went to Noakhali but not to Punjab.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
May be, I am not sure, but lots more Brahmins were hardcore supporters of the British, and aided them in many ways as I have already pointed out.

Also don't forget that the man who murdered the Gandhi, the father of the nation, was also a Brahmin. He was also hanged to death.
I hate to give long answers. Just for example, I will cite the names of Gopal Krishna Gokhale, the Guru of Gandhiji, and the learned one who started petitioning the British on Indian grievances, Lokamanya B.G.Tilak, the fearless patriot, V.D.Savarkar the revolutionary, Madan Mohan Malaviya who founded the Banaras Hindu University, Ishwarchandra Vidyasagar the Bengali reformer, D.D.Karve who founded the university at Pune for higher education of widows, Justice. M.G.Ranade who was also a great social reformer and many others who were the leaders in the various aspects of social upliftment and the struggle for independence were Brahmins.