Generals of early Civil Wars vs later Civil Wars

May 2015
villa of Lucullus
One thing I am curious about is how the commanders of the early Roman civil wars compare with those of the later civil wars. Both wars follow somewhat similar trajectories with the Marians playing the part of the Pompeians. While information on the early conflicts is somewhat limited we do have some information on the generalship of guys like Marius and Sulla. What about the following matchups?
Marius vs Pompey
Caesar vs Sulla
Marcus Lepidus (sr) vs Cassius
Sertorius vs Sextus Pompeius

Jan 2009
What about the following matchups?
Marius vs Pompey
Caesar vs Sulla
Marcus Lepidus (sr) vs Cassius
Sertorius vs Sextus Pompeius
1. Assuming we are talking about pre-stroke Marius, I am giving this to Marius. Pompey is good, but Marius is one of the greats.

2. This one I'd say is too close to call. Both Caesar and Sulla are lucky, audacious, skilled and beloved by their soldiers. Both are in the top tier of Roman Generals. I'd say it probably comes down to the luck and the quality and the quantity of troops they have in their disposal.

3. Cassius takes this. Marcus Lepidus Sr. lost against Q.L.Catulus, who seems to have no other military campaigns to his name. Cassius managed to get out of Carrhae alive with survivors, and beat a probing invasion of the Parthians afterwards.

4. On land, Sertorius, no contest. On sea, I am giving it to Sextus, since Sertorius never had a chance to learn to be an admiral.