Votes: 20 74.1%
  • Oda Nobunaga

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

leakbrewergator

Ad Honorem
Apr 2010
US
Genghis. The Mongol invasion largely fell apart due to the "Divine wind" which destroyed the Mongolian fleet.
There is a very common misconception that the Japanese were merely hapless defenders who would have been destroyed if not for the "divine wind." Recently there has been a lot of scholarly work that has debunked that theory. The Japanese were superior fighters and they had the home field advantage.

One of the best books I have read recently is Thomas Conlan's In Little Need of Divine Intervention. This book does a great job of setting forth that argument.

Plus, Genghis Khan had nothing to do with the Mongol Invasion of Japan. It was his grandson Kublai Khan.

Sep 2009
Having served on a navy ship for a while, I can honestly say that even the best designed ancient ship can not possibly survive a typhoon in the open sea for long. even modern ships (short of super cargo or aircraft carriers) are at risk in typhoons.)

It's too much of a maybe and if game on the Mongol invasion, though the state of warfare during that period in Japan (just after Genpei) wasn't exactly described as advanced.

But then again we're talking about a operation tougher than D-Day that happened about 650 year before D-Day.

leakbrewergator

Ad Honorem
Apr 2010
US
It's too much of a maybe and if game on the Mongol invasion
Exactly. Plus, as I've stated before, neither Gegnhis Khan nor Oda Nobunaga had anything to do with that invasion. The success or failure of it really has nothing to do with the capabilities of the two.

BTW, I voted for Nobunaga only because he is getting killed right now. :)