Gentleman Jack - HBO/BBC -TV

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
New series of 8 episodes.
Soap opera set in 1832 Halifax, West Riding of Yorkshire
A landowner, from a family of wool dyers and minor mill barons, returns home to reopen the family coal mines, in order to take on the local big wigs at their own industrial game.

Anyone watching?

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Does it add anything to the genre of BBC Victorian lesbian drama?

Or does it just fill in the gap between tipping the velvet, Doctor Who and Ammonite?

Reactions: Sindane

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
I've only seen the first episode Nemo. Not sure about it yet.
It was aired first in the USA, where I think it is up to the 5th episode now. In the UK it only started on BBC1 on Sunday night.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Does it add anything to the genre of BBC Victorian lesbian drama?

Or does it just fill in the gap between tipping the velvet, Doctor Who and Ammonite?
I haven’t watched any of those. I started watching GJ with some doubt but I thought it was well done.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
I haven’t watched any of those. I started watching GJ with some doubt but I thought it was well done.
I think i'm going to have to adjust the calibration on my sarcasm launcher, that one missed by a mile.

I should have added the other Anne Lister drama the BBc did about 10 years ago.

I'm not trying to suggest someone in BBC commissioning has a bit of a thing for Lesbians in crinoline, but...thats a lot of dramas on one theme!

Reactions: Sindane

Sindane

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Europe
I think i'm going to have to adjust the calibration on my sarcasm launcher, that one missed by a mile.

I should have added the other Anne Lister drama the BBc did about 10 years ago.

I'm not trying to suggest someone in BBC commissioning has a bit of a thing for Lesbians in crinoline, but...thats a lot of dramas on one theme!

Oh I see . Hahaha

A BBC lovey love in. Lefty minority group politics pushed by middle class media bubble types.

I noticed that there was an historically innacurate conversation in the first episode about the 1832 reform bill, argued by Anne from an 19th century feminist angle? A strike down from me for that alone. If they can't get the history of such an important event right, what else is going to be wrong?

SPOILER ALERT ....

Also from reading spoilers coming from the USA (aired up to episode 5), there seems to be a FICTIONAL baddy character shoved into the REAL story. A man of course and not a baddy woman who sent kids down mines and evicted her tenants on a whim

Hope this isn't going to be another Peterloo (2018). Which was bloody awful and embarrassing. Doubly depressing, if, like me, you love the time period, Industrial Revolution and north of England history