Gerald Ford didn’t play in the NFL why?

Sep 2012
Spring, Texas
I am not terribly old and I know Ray Nitsche, MLB, Green Bay Packers had a job selling insurance in his six months off a year. A Packer selling insurance in Wisconsin surely never went hungry.

Jun 2018
Philadelphia, PA
You could find World Series tickets for around $7.00; I am sure it would differ depending on exactly where you wanted to sit, but if this the case I would believe that you could find regular season NFL tickets for around $4.00. The Packers letter to President Ford focused heavily on his compensation and stated that even players who did not play would receive the full amount promised them. I think it is safe to say that his salary was not the issue that caused him to reject these offers.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Money was an issue in that they were offering him $1600 a year (presumably most players had off season jobs), which was a fraction of what a Yale Law School graduate got. If the pay was what it is now, he might have considered it. CkW_j7lW0AAoLMGe.jpg

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
We may be splitting nickels, but the 1935 NFL season appears to include only 12 game. Also, I don't think you can just annualize when it says "per game." That reads to me like - if you can't play from injury, you don't get paid.
NFL Regular Season Games Played per Season | Pro Football Hall of Fame Official Site

If we can believe this stuff, but 12 games would be $1,320 for a season, about 2 times one year at the minimum wage of the time.
The Minimum Wage in 1935

The current average NFL salary is $2.1 million, about 70 times two years minimum wage of today.

So, versus minimum wage, the average player of today makes 35 times more than what was offered to Ford. And that is not just splitting nickels.:)

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
They were making a point that if you couldn't play, you did get paid, implying sometimes that was not the case. The pay was per game, and wasn't bad. Probably they all had other jobs or businesses.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
They were making a point that if you couldn't play, you did get paid, implying sometimes that was not the case. The pay was per game, and wasn't bad. Probably they all had other jobs or businesses.
They way I would put it - in today's numbers - a part-time, painful and dangerous job for $30,000 per year is not worth delaying the pursuit of a Yale law degree. It's hard to believe that if Ford chose the other way that he would have been President and we would have had this conversation.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
They way I would put it - in today's numbers - a part-time, painful and dangerous job for $30,000 per year is not worth delaying the pursuit of a Yale law degree. It's hard to believe that if Ford chose the other way that he would have been President and we would have had this conversation.
Actually, the NFL career would have helped with politics, as did being a star for Michigan.

It is probably more like $50K today for part time, which would be worth it for some people who didn't have the option of Yale Law School.

Similar History Discussions