German SDKfz 251 halftrack with mounted 10.5 cm howitzer

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
I've found a picture of what appears to be a german SDKfz 251 halftrack with a 10.5 cm howitzer mounted on the back as a type of ad hoc mobile artillery. The picture is said to have been taken during the Ardennes offensive of 1944/45 but were in-field modifications like this common? Did it happen before this?

02.jpg

Apr 2018
India
I don't know German. At least not more than a talking parrot. However this seems to be not Sdkfz 251 but Sdkfz 11 (or 3T Zugkraftwagen) with armoured driver's cabin. Interestingly, this particular version, leFH 18/40 Auf 3 T Zgkw appears to be quite favourite with hobby model makers. Check these out -

Szkutnictwo - LeFH 18/40 auf Sd.Kfz 11 [KFS]

Review - 10,5cm leFH18/40/1 (Sf) auf 3t Zgkw

The second one begins with a short history of the thing. Not much of an authentic source but since there's not much elsewhere, have to go by that.

Among more 'serious' sources, there's this one -

le. Zgkw. 3t

If you check the third and second last sentences of the last paragraph and the second last point under 'variants' subheading, there are some rather vague mentions. Overall this thing does not appear to be a battlefield modification but was factory made. The whole thing looks like a disaster to me because neither the frame nor the suspensions were designed to bear a 2 T gun in the first place, let alone absorb the recoil.

Comparable vehicle - .Sd.Kfz.251/22 – 7.5 cm PaK40 L/46 auf Mittlerer Schützenpanzerwagen
Sd.Kfz.251 Hanomag

Oct 2013
Europix
The second one begins with a short history of the thing. Not much of an authentic source but since there's not much elsewhere, have to go by that.
(I'm not referring to this particular page You talk about but "in general").

Modeller's pages are a real gold mine: they're real nuts (as all hardcore afficionados are), so they go quite far in search of documentation.

In a lot of cases, it's worth giving a search there: often one can be directed on the good path for answers.