German translation help

Jul 2019
USA
Hi,

I have an article with about 1-6 pages (article excerpts) of an old German article about the Napoleon war. I wonder if somebody here could help me translate it to English? Assigning a translation service for such will be very expensive and I doubt they will capture everything related to the history. I am a non-commercial hobby researcher.

Super grateful if somebody could help me, please drop me a PM if you can.

Sorry if this type of questions violates the forum rules.

Best regards

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Have you used an on-line translator first? They are imperfect and don't always capture the true sense of the document, but it's a good place to start. Google "German to English" and pick one of the translators that comes up. Type in a paragraph or two and see what you get. If something doesn't make sense then come back here and ask us about that sentence or phrase.

Jul 2019
USA
Online translator does not work since first of all the material is in pictures, and secondly the characters are old-fashioned so its hard for me to even transform it to text.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Ich kann Deutsch [I know German], but old-fashioned letters can generate troubles while reading.

In any case, it takes time to translate 6 pages ... you could try and see if the document has been digitalized on sites like archive.org. Have you got the title of the article?

Jul 2019
USA
Yes Ive been researching quite a bit about this and pretty sure it has not been translated before. I think for a native German speaker it should be fairly easy.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
So you don't need it translated from German to English so much as you need it translated from old text to new text. Once you get it into new text, translation to English should be easy.

1581440636347.png

1581440772930.png

Jul 2019
USA
Thank you, these two are very helpful. My text is in what is called "Fraktur" here. I will try convert it to regular text using this schema.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
IMHO, the simplest way would still be to scan the text and post it. There are members knowing German, and You would have Your translation. It wouldn't be the first time this aproach is working out well on this site.

Jul 2019
USA
I am worried about copyright infringement by posting it out in the open.

However, with the schemas posted here by @Chlodio and with some OCR tools I will manage to convert it to text. If somebody native in German is interested in helping me (6 pages). Please drop me a PM. The text is about Russian generals in Napoleon wars.

Thank you