German WWII Tanks & Vehicles used by the Allies during and after WWII.

Jan 2013
Anywhere
Hey guys I don't know if I'm the only one who knew of this, or that others already know. But I recently found a captured nazi tanks that were used or just taken.

Also this site claims that the american troops captured a king tiger. But the photo looks like that of a Panther.

Captured King Tiger tank and american soldiers. Schwere Heeres Panzer Abteilung 506, Gereonsweiler Germany | World War Photos

Also the British themselves caught a German panther and called it the cuckoo.

So what do all of you think about this. Can allies use German WWII Vehicles. And what ever happened to these German military vehicles. Were they still used after WWII. Cause I'm curious to know about this. Like did West Germany still used them well into the 1950's?

Also let's keep this as an honest discussion. No foul mouthing or speaking negatively. Cause I'll report you to the administration.

Attachments

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
There was no real German army post ww2 till 1955 (they had Border Guards till then but they did not have tanks), their first tanks US m47 & m48 tanks.

Various countries used German tanks in pretty small numbers mostly passing out of service relatively quickly as maintaince and parts issues.

Here is some information on the more notable users.

The French operated a unit of Panthers from 1945 to 1947

"After the war, France was able to recover enough operable vehicles and components to equip the French Army's 503e Régiment de Chars de Combat with a force of 50 Panthers from 1944 to 1947, in the 501st and 503rd Tank Regiments. In 1947, the French War Ministry wrote an evaluation of them entitled Le Panther 1947. These remained in service until they were replaced by French-built ARL 44 heavy tanks"

Panther tank - Wikipedia

The Syrains operated some panzer IV up till the six day war

"While their numbers remain uncertain, Syria received around 60 Panzers that were refurbished in France during 1950-1952, followed by 50 others purchased from Czechoslovakia in 1954.[114] A Soviet DShK machine gun on an anti-aircraft mount was retrofitted on the cupola. These were used to shell Israeli settlements below the Golan Heights, and were fired upon in 1965 during the Water War by Israeli Centurion tanks.[111] Syria received 17 Panzer IVs from Spain; these saw combat during the Six-Day War in 1967.[115] Several of Syria's Panzer IVs were captured and given to the Yad La-Shiryon museum. The AAF Tank Museum in Danville, Virginia later traded an M5 Stuart to the Latrun museum for one of the Czechoslovak-origin Panzer IVs, which is now an exhibit there."
Panzer IV - Wikipedia

Panzers in the Golan Heights

Jan 2013
Anywhere
There was no real German army post ww2 till 1955 (they had Border Guards till then but they did not have tanks), their first tanks US m47 & m48 tanks.

Various countries used German tanks in pretty small numbers mostly passing out of service relatively quickly as maintaince and parts issues.

Here is some information on the more notable users.

"After the war, France was able to recover enough operable vehicles and components to equip the French Army's 503e Régiment de Chars de Combat with a force of 50 Panthers from 1944 to 1947, in the 501st and 503rd Tank Regiments. In 1947, the French War Ministry wrote an evaluation of them entitled Le Panther 1947. These remained in service until they were replaced by French-built ARL 44 heavy tanks"

Panther tank - Wikipedia

The Syrains operated some panzer IV up till the six day war

"While their numbers remain uncertain, Syria received around 60 Panzers that were refurbished in France during 1950-1952, followed by 50 others purchased from Czechoslovakia in 1954.[114] A Soviet DShK machine gun on an anti-aircraft mount was retrofitted on the cupola. These were used to shell Israeli settlements below the Golan Heights, and were fired upon in 1965 during the Water War by Israeli Centurion tanks.[111] Syria received 17 Panzer IVs from Spain; these saw combat during the Six-Day War in 1967.[115] Several of Syria's Panzer IVs were captured and given to the Yad La-Shiryon museum. The AAF Tank Museum in Danville, Virginia later traded an M5 Stuart to the Latrun museum for one of the Czechoslovak-origin Panzer IVs, which is now an exhibit there."
Panzer IV - Wikipedia

Panzers in the Golan Heights
Whoa...thats crazy. I never Syria uses panzers.

But I did heard that Spain used German military vehicles.

Jan 2013
Anywhere
I think the Irony is Israel using me109s in 1948. (well czech built me109 clones)

Avia S-199 - Wikipedia
I find it interesting that Israel and Syria used WWII-era vehicles. Pretty cool that they used it along side with cold war era armored fighting vehicles. I read that the Syrian Panzer tank is the best design of all panzers. And when I looked at it as it does look very intimidating. Also I just saw a video of the Swedish army wanting a King Tiger heavy tank. But have any American and British troops used these armored vehicles in west german, like for testing and doing some reverse engineering? I mean it'll be crazy to see an americanized tiger tank. That right there would blow my mind...figuratively not literally. ;D

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
I find it interesting that Israel and Syria used WWII-era vehicles. Pretty cool that they used it along side with cold war era armored fighting vehicles. I read that the Syrian Panzer tank is the best design of all panzers. And when I looked at it as it does look very intimidating.
1948 is very much ww2 era, both sides sourced whatever weapons they could, but even later a obsolete weapon is better than no weapon at all,

Also I just saw a video of the Swedish army wanting a King Tiger heavy tank. But have any American and British troops used these armored vehicles in west german, like for testing and doing some reverse engineering? I mean it'll be crazy to see an americanized tiger tank. That right there would blow my mind...figuratively not literally. ;D
All teh major allied powers took German equipment , tanks, aircraft for testing and reverse engineering. This went on on both sides during the war.

But large miliatairs normally have defeiunbte ideas about the equipment they want, so even when 'copying' anotehr design they can wind up with pretty different equipment. TEh Serman tankwas what it was because of US design priorities.

The German heavy tanks were often badly engineered, hard to maintain, hard to transport, and move around.

Jan 2013
Anywhere
1948 is very much ww2 era, both sides sourced whatever weapons they could, but even later a obsolete weapon is better than no weapon at all,

All the major allied powers took German equipment , tanks, aircraft for testing and reverse engineering. This went on on both sides during the war.

But large militaries normally have defeiunbte ideas about the equipment they want, so even when 'copying' another design they can wind up with pretty different equipment. the Sherman tank was what it was because of US design priorities.

The German heavy tanks were often badly engineered, hard to maintain, hard to transport, and move around.

Man I never knew 1948 is still WWII-era. But you do have a point. In the Korean War the U.S Army and Marines still used WWII vehicles along with the M75 apc, Helicopters and the like. And the united states was financially and militarily exhausted by the war.
But the King Tiger was very hard to operate as it had a small engine. If the swedes were to acquire all King Tiger heavy tanks and retrofitted them with bigger engines. Then that'll be an intimidating sight to see. Then again...the swedes often do beef up their armored vehicles. Like the strv-122. Its basically a beefy leopard 2 tank.

Jul 2016
USA
T

Panther tank - Wikipedia
French use of Panthers was actually responsible for some of the better technical details regarding engineering problems with the entire class, specifically regarding its final drives. Reading the evaluation really puts the tank's performance in perspective outside the normal wunderwaffen praise because of its gun and frontal armor.

Similar History Discussions