Germany decides to go another round in 1919

Oct 2015
California
So what would happen if Germany, unhappy with the terms of Versailles decides to go another round and continue the war in 1919?

At the time of Versailles, The French had some 20 divisions already deployed in the Palatinate. Foch who was supreme allied commander and Mangin (army commander) warrants for a most happy butcher mentality partnership, and they would have been more than happy to continue killing Germans.

However, the Anglo-American occupation of the Rhineland was too weak to accomplish much without substantial reinforcements which, comes hell or high water would eventually come. In the event Germany decides to go another round by rejecting Versailles, the initial reaction would be left to the French. The French would probably advance along the Main River to link up with the Czechs in order to cut off southern Germany. This would probably encourage the separatist Bavarian Soviet Republic to try and secede again after a bid to do so failed in 1918 and this time they’d probably succeed.

Which leads us to the naval blockade, which was very much still in effect. It had been extended since 1918 to the Baltic, which had cut Germany off from trading with Sweden.
The British reluctantly allowed some food to enter Hamburg in 1919, after persuading by future US President Hoover on humanitarian grounds. But in the event the Germans reject of Versailles and a renewed war then the British will reinstate a full blockade even of food.

By the fall or winter of 1919 or 1920 the allies are pouring back into Germany, who then might also link up with red army contingents heading for Germany in order to prop up the fledgling Bavarian Soviet Republic.

After Germany surrenders again, (this time with no more notions of being stabbed in the back) might compel the allies, the French in particular to demand even harsher terms; a more Carthaginian peace than the original Versailles Treaty demanded. Perhaps they might even demand complete annexation of the Rhineland and a return to pre 1813 border. The latter may be a stretch and whether they get it not is another matter.

Last edited:
Jan 2009
In the Past
They would get to see what it looks like when the War is on their land. The Germans were being pushed back. They were already nearly entirely out of France, and backed up into Belgium and mere miles from German borders. They actually in Germany a short ways just south of the Belgium border. I feel it's safe to say that 1919 would end with Most of the Front buried miles into German territory. Of course, this also depends on just how much longer the armies of Germany could withstand attrition. I don't imagine they had much left to give. For all we know, the floodgates were about to break, and the Allies may have ended 1919 halfway through Germany.

EDIT: I misread part of the OP, and assumed this meant no break in the War. It seems that the OP implied a fully signed Versailles treaty, with the war being re-ignited rather than merely continued. My bad.

Last edited:
Oct 2015
California
EDIT: I misread part of the OP, and assumed this meant no break in the War. It seems that the OP implied a fully signed Versailles treaty, with the war being re-ignited rather than merely continued. My bad.
When the allies presented the Versailles terms to the German delegation on April 29, 1919, the terms were published in German newspapers one month later which outraged the Germans especially about the terms regarding the redrawing of the eastern borders with Poland which was favorable to the Poles. Some diehard Prussian elements in Germany seriously contemplated breaking the armistice and going back to war over this very issue alone because it called for giving a substantial part of Prussia to Poland. This border issue with Poland was eventually settled through plebicites, but the original plan would have redrawn the border in a way that would have left 3 million Germans on the Polish side of the border. The deadline the allies gave to the Germans regarding the Versailles Treaty was set for June 24. If those diehard elements within Germany had won out and decided to resume the war by letting the deadline pass the allies would have regarded this as a German rejection of the Versailles terms and the war would most probably have resumed. It would have been suicide for Germany to do this.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
as the wilson's 14 points explicating mention Polish independence and included a corridor to the sea, and the Germans has promised the Poles some sort of independence during the war, Germans who were outraged and surprised were being fairly thick, any reasonable assessment of ;likely result of them seeking peace on wilson's 14 points would have lead them to contemplating a likely result that would be almost identical to the historical outcome. german troops had handed over their weapons to the poles and left , handing over control of much of the area to the poles.

I agree many Germans found this 'intolerable' but any realistic assessment of their future would have seen this coming. and their seeking peace on the 14 points and virtually conceded this right at the start.

Jun 2015
UK
they would lose again. This time, with possibly a stronger US presence, or British/French Imperial presence. Or possibly with the USSR joining in.

Germany was in no shape to wage war at that period, as the Kaiser was deposed shortly afterwards.