Germany wins WWI in 1918 and then tries installing a puppet govt in Russia

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
If Germany would have won World War I in 1918 (as a result of no US entry into the war; this would likely cause severely financial problems for Britain and France and thus very possibly cause them to agree to let Germany keep her territorial gains in the East) and then overthrew the Bolsheviks and tried installing a pro-German puppet regime in Russia, what would the outcome of this have been?

Would there have been a large Russian insurgency against this pro-German puppet government--especially if it became very possible that this puppet government will try to undo the Russian Revolution and restore the old Tsarist Russian system? If so, would Germany have actually been able to crush such an insurgency or would Russia have become Germany's Afghanistan in this scenario--with Germany eventually becoming compelled to pull out as a result of it continuing to endure large-scale losses without victory being in sight?

Any thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For the record, the smartest thing for Germany to do would have been to overthrow the Bolsheviks and then quickly withdraw from Russia and consolidate its Brest-Litovsk territorial gains. However, I fear that Germany would have victory fever in this scenario and thus might aim to transform all of Russia into a German puppet state--something which I am unsure would have actually been in Germany's capabilities to successfully achieve.

Dec 2018
Australia
Russia would be a very bad place to get stuck in. However they might be able to act along with the remaining White Russians. If they aggreed to let them have the Eastern and Northern sections of Russia it could decrese their exposure.

Dec 2018
Australia
For the record, the smartest thing for Germany to do would have been to overthrow the Bolsheviks and then quickly withdraw from Russia and consolidate its Brest-Litovsk territorial gains. However, I fear that Germany would have victory fever in this scenario and thus might aim to transform all of Russia into a German puppet state--something which I am unsure would have actually been in Germany's capabilities to successfully achieve.
Yes. Given 1918 technology it would be extremely hard to do. One possible strategy could be the British strategy against the Boer guerrillas on a larger scale. Railways with blockhouses on them partitioning the entire country

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yes. Given 1918 technology it would be extremely hard to do. One possible strategy could be the British strategy against the Boer guerrillas on a larger scale. Railways with blockhouses on them partitioning the entire country
Can you please elaborate on this strategy?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Russia would be a very bad place to get stuck in. However they might be able to act along with the remaining White Russians. If they aggreed to let them have the Eastern and Northern sections of Russia it could decrese their exposure.
I don't think that the White Russians would be very willing to agree to a partition of Russia together with the Germans. After all, they'd likely already be extremely pissed off at the Germans for the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk.

Dec 2018
Australia
Can you please elaborate on this strategy?
I don't have huge knowledge of it.
From what i have read about it the British built railroad lines and created barbed wire along them. Blockhouses were built at set intervals (Inside side distance of each other? I think?) with telegraph connection between them. The British then brought out their forces along the railroad lines.