Giant croc capture after eight year hunt

Dec 2010
Oregon
The crocodile, a male, was “removed” to “help prevent human interaction in the more populated areas,” the Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife said in a Facebook post.
Such a bland statement. Presumably 'human interaction' involves chomping, tearing, shredding, and crunching, at least. And that's just what the Australian would do. God knows how the croc would interact.

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
I don't like the policy of "removing" large crocs, they should be left alone in their own natural habitat. Still, it's interesting that the population has revived. Some old book said the "saltwater crocodile has been shot out of northern Australian waters since the end of WWII."

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
I don't like the policy of "removing" large crocs, they should be left alone in their own natural habitat. Still, it's interesting that the population has revived. Some old book said the "saltwater crocodile has been shot out of northern Australian waters since the end of WWII."

That was almost the case, but since conservation measures were introduced in the early 1970s their numbers have increased markedly, to the point they are no longer considered endangered. Of course they do snack on the odd human every now and then, especially since they are now living in fairly close proximity to humans in some places. This is why some crocodiles are captured and removed to a more remote location. Better than culling them as was done in the past.

Last edited:

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
I always felt Steve Irwin was an embarrassment, and several naturalists and wildlife experts believed that his animal handling methods were unprofessional and dangerous.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria