Gilles de Rais: guilty or not?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
What is the consensus on Gilles de Rais nowadays? Did he really abuse and kill all those children or did the nobility just want his lands?

It is sickening either way, falsely accusing someone of such gruelsome acts and even more actually commiting such filth.

For a quick overview: Gilles de Rais' murders

Nov 2018
Canada
Its hard to say, with how medieval people where so indoctrinated in religion and saw the devil everywhere, its a cool story but i cant say if he did all those crimes or not.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
aka "The Countess of Blood" and the wealthiest woman of her time. Lost everything to accusations of vampirism and witchcraft.... Not coincidentally, the people who accused her were the ones who acquired her properties.

Elizabeth Báthory - Wikipedia
Thanks, another great gruesome story. I quite like reading stuff like that. I would only like to point out that there seems to be much more evidence for the guilt of Báthory and that while the later stories remind us of vampirism as we think of it today, it has little to do with actual traditional vampirism as understood by Balkan Slavs.

Its hard to say, with how medieval people where so indoctrinated in religion and saw the devil everywhere, its a cool story but i cant say if he did all those crimes or not.
Indeed, that's exactly what made me doubt it. De Rais was sort of a male Jean D'Arc, so it wouldn't be surprising for others to be jealous and envious of him, even to the point of of accusing him of the worst things imaginable. Getting someone to confess was easy back then, just use torture and they'll confess to anything. On the other hand you could pay or threaten people to testify the way you wanted.

But then again, you always has seriously messed up people. Hearing of members of the "elite" doing pretty much the same things today is not as uncommon as it should be, so it could have happened in the past as well. The accusations are very specific and too disturbing for a medieval mind to just make them up on the go, if you ask me. The crimes are so terrible you can't make them up, not in that time at least. If you want someone gone to get their land you accuse them of treason, blasphemy or something stupid like Jews stealing the holy host. Also, all those boys really seem to have gone missing. Gilles just seems to have been really good at hiding his tracks. Personally, I lean more towards him being guilty. I wanted to hear all the aspects though and see what others think as it always opens new aspects.

And also the fenomen of alcoolhism.Until the years 1950 in France,a lot of people believed that water was Dangerous and wine excellent for the health.Some workers drank 3 liters of wine each day
Oh well, over here we still unironically say "water is bad even for your shoes" and "if you'll drink too much water, tadpoles will grow in your stomach". Wine to some degree has benefits for your health, but not if you drink it en masse the whole time.

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania

Similar History Discussions