Gilles de Rais: guilty or not?

Jan 2019
Northumberland-England
Just to put you straight regarding beer (I'm from the North of England, so know of what I speak!). Most medieval working people (in England) drank 'small' beer as opposed to 'beer' beer. Small beer could be consumed in quantity being only 1% proof. It was made from the second mulching but was strong enough to kill of all (most) bacteria, whereas the 'beer' beer was strong enough to kill off all bacteria as well as quite a few over imbibers! You really didn't want to drink the water...any water!
Apologies all - very much off topic.

Last edited:

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Just to put you straight regarding beer (I'm from the North of England, so know of what I speak!). Most medieval working people (in England) drank 'small' beer as opposed to 'beer' beer. Small beer could be consumed in quantity being only 1% proof. It was made from the second mulching but was strong enough to kill of all (most) bacteria, whereas the 'beer' beer was strong enough to kill off all bacteria as well as quite a few over imbibers! You really didn't want to drink the water...any water!
Apologies all - very much off topic.
Maybe off topic, but true. Also less known and unexpectedly interesting: people in the "beer areal" were less (sometimes significantly less) affected by some epidemic because of the "small beer".
Unlike "wine/strong alcohol areals", they practically didn't drank water (even children drank the "small beer", thus drinking water spread diseases affected them less.

Similar History Discussions