Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Impossible to tell

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
Oct 2011
MARE PACIFICVM
Unlikely, if you believe the trial evidence he was actively consorting with satan for most of his adult life and actively renounced god.

If you don't believe it what exactly is the proof he was raping and murdering children?
Have you read his confession and the trial evidence? The abuse and killings are described in extreme detail, including many of the different locations where the acts took place, and the bodies of children were later found there.

Many serial killers are schizophrenic, and it is completely possible that Gilles thought of the psychopathic murdering part of his personality as a "demon", which would have seemed a reasonable explanation to a 15th century Christian.

Oct 2015
California
We'll never trully know if De Rais was guilty or not of the crimes he was accused of, but someone did kill those victims found in his castle.

Anyway was there anything to indicate during his services in the Hundred Years War that de Rais was a psychopath? Or did the war turn him into one? kind of like a which came first the chicken or the egg kind of question.

Apr 2016
United Kingdom
He doesn't seem to have been a psychopath (using the clinical definition). As Pacific_Victory said, it sounds like he was extremely severely schizophrenic and more than a little messed up to begin with. It's impossible to tell if he was guilty or not, but his confessions don't lend much confidence to the 'innocent' side. He never denied anything. Bodies were found.

Jun 2014
VA
Have you read his confession and the trial evidence? The abuse and killings are described in extreme detail, including many of the different locations where the acts took place, and the bodies of children were later found there.

Many serial killers are schizophrenic, and it is completely possible that Gilles thought of the psychopathic murdering part of his personality as a "demon", which would have seemed a reasonable explanation to a 15th century Christian.
I would repeat every word the prosecution stated if I knew my chances of not being sentenced to death by the court was at best zero and I would be tortured indefinitely if I didn't (which is why under modern law a confession gained even under only threat of torture without actual torture is completely inadmissible and it is a felony for police to do that).

The occultist evidence states the man summoned demon conjurers from Italy to teach him the dark arts making what he did a very clear renunciation of God and full embrace of Satan as far as medieval Christians are concerned. Demonic possession by a demon you summoned and sold your soul to satan to bring to the world would have been seen a lot like witches giving up their souls to satan to become witches. At the very least if the trial evidence is accurate it makes it hard to believe he ever could have thought he could gain salvation.

I am also highly underwhelmed by detailed descriptions; you could find very similar detailed descriptions from blood libel and other anti-semitic cases.

He may have been guilty but we will never know because court rooms that have room for indefinite torture combined with superstition, are run by people with a vested interest in finding guilt and lack any oversight from a higher authority (excluding a miracle) are highly suspicious.

Jan 2019
Las Vegas
Gilles de Rais victims. The numbers vary greatly, has anyone looked at baptism records to see approximately how many male children were born in each of his lands? It could at least be a starting point to access how many children were available to de Rais. Also, by killing so many boys wasn’t he depleting the families ability to maintain the land? And if every family was losing boys, how could this not be a major loss to the community as a whole? Baptism records would have shown the births.

Also, how guilty were the parents offering their children for money or to pay off debts to de Rais?

Similar History Discussions