Given the widespread anti-Catholic sentiments in the US, why was the US so eager to allow a lot of Catholics to move to the US?

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
The OP says "widespread" I think a better term is spread out.

By the time of the Civil War, the "eastern cites:" Boston, NY, Baltimore, DC and Chicago were Catholic powerhouses. For example during the war, NYC police superintendent (John Kennedy,) was only too happy to lock up Southern Sympathizers (who just by virtue of demographics, were likely to be Protestant, some of whom had been forcibly relocated there),

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The OP says "widespread" I think a better term is spread out.

By the time of the Civil War, the "eastern cites:" Boston, NY, Baltimore, DC and Chicago were Catholic powerhouses. For example during the war, NYC police superintendent (John Kennedy,) was only too happy to lock up Southern Sympathizers (who just by virtue of demographics, were likely to be Protestant, some of whom had been forcibly relocated there),
Why'd they get relocated?

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Why'd they get relocated?
lol
Why did the German undesirables get relocated in WW2? Because they had no rights in Poland?
Why is Gitmo never going to close? (I was so hoping that someone would make good on his promise to give KSM a civilian trial in NYC. Ah, what a spectacle that would have been).

Rendition is as old as government. It serves both the purpose I stated above, and as a punishment on its own.. More recently, it has been called diesel therapy. Diesel transport may be preferable to being shackled on a horse-drawn wagon and relocated 200 bumpy miles from DC to Fort Lafayette, as happened to one unfortunate woman. Though that would be better than being a guest of Superintendent Kennedy's NYC sweat box, where he could "sweat" a confession from anyone suspected of being a Southern Sympathizer.
(With respect to the OP, does this sound like the Inquisition? Locking up people for heresy? Do you see what the Bill or Rights, written by Protestants, was supposed to preclude? A new inquisition? The OP opens the biggest can of worms I have seen).

Even Wiki knows about diesel therapy: (It is amazing to me how much of what was "conspiracy theory" 20 years ago, now has its own Wiki Page with footnotes. lol)
"Diesel therapy is a form of punishment in which prisoners are shackled and then transported for days or weeks.[2] It has been described as "the cruelest aspect of being a federal inmate."[3] It has been alleged that some inmates are deliberately sent to incorrect destinations as an exercise of diesel therapy.
Diesel therapy - Wikipedia

An American who claims to have been recently subjected to such rendition, Susan McDougall
"I was angry about being subjected to "diesel therapy"—the time-honored prosecutorial tradition of hauling defendants around the country and placing them in different jails along the way. In mid-April 1998, I was transported from MDC in Los Angeles to the Oklahoma City transfer center, and then to the Pulaski County Jail in Little Rock, Arkansas, to go before the grand jury again."

Just in case the "powerhouse" point was lost in the preceding flurry, do you see what I mean about "widespread?" Catholic immigration is occurring eastern urban political "machines" that are under Catholic control?

More questions or have you had enough, yet?
lol

Last edited:

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
And yet, somehow it happened anyway. There must have been someone in the US who wanted this to happen.
The only ones I can think of are people wanting cheap labor regardless of where it comes from. And other catholic's of course (estimated 50,000 Catholics in the 13 original colonies before the american revolution).

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
The only ones I can think of are people wanting cheap labor regardless of where it comes from. And other catholic's of course (estimated 50,000 Catholics in the 13 original colonies before the american revolution).
Do you think "other Catholics" wanted cheap labor, too? Or to affect elections?

mark87

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Santiago de Chile
Do you think "other Catholics" wanted cheap labor, too? Or to affect elections?
What I meant by that is that the other Catholic people already in the US would not have minded their coreligionists being present and so would not have opposed their migration at least for ethnic-religious-social reasons like Protestants might, they could still oppose if they felt their livelihoods threatened.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
What I meant by that is that the other Catholic people already in the US would not have minded their coreligionists being present and so would not have opposed their migration at least for ethnic-religious-social reasons like Protestants might, they could still oppose if they felt their livelihoods threatened.
I agree. Obviously, many Catholics would have enjoyed being joined by their brethren, just like everyone else. It is the "cheap labor" idea that I hold in low regard.

The discussion has been vague and tangential because no one is talking decade. At first, the Catholics are almost all in Maryland. The signing founder from Maryland is Charles Carroll, perhaps the richest man in the state. His brother is the founder of Georgetown. As far as cheap labor goes, these folks were not importing Catholics. For almost 200 years, (1600s-1800s) the Jesuits in and around Maryland owned more slaves than anyone in North America. Probably in South America too. (1600-1750,, the Paraguayan Reductions).

By 1850, "nativists" are complaining about NYC having too many immigrants and corrupting the place - but because so many occupy positions in the police or in the government (perhaps because they are elected by cheap labor). Perhaps the earliest opportunity to use the "cheap labor" idea. is Lincoln's army. There are tens of thousands of them working for "Greenbacks." It doesn't get any cheaper than handing out printed up paper instead of Constitutionally required gold and silver.

Last edited: