Golan Heights

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, when other countries flout and violate international law in order to achieve their desired objectives, why shouldn't Israel do the same thing?

Syria had a golden opportunity to get the Golan Heights back in the couple of decades before the Arab Spring. Now, Israel's demographics have strengthened the Jewish, blood-and-soil element in Israeli politics. When a country is filled with Jewish nationalism and also has a rapidly growing population with relatively little available space, it could understandably be hesitant to give up territory that it controls and that it previously annexed--even if this was done in violation of international law.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
Well ... my personal and questionable impression is that UN and the so called "International Community" exist to help defeated losers to obtain something.

"International Law" isn't [I will get bored keeping on repeating this ...]. It's a system of multilateral agreements and treaties. But these agreements and treaties are valid for a single country until in that country there is a law stating that those agreements and treaties are valid.

In US the President can do what Trump has done. Period.

Is this positive or negative?

Romania has decided to recognize Jerusalem as capital of Israel [Romania to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital: PM pledges | DW | 24.03.2019]. Are Muslim powers going to invade Romania? Is Turkey going to cut relationships with such a strategical partner? No, they aren't ... trust me.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Well ... my personal and questionable impression is that UN and the so called "International Community" exist to help defeated losers to obtain something.

"International Law" isn't [I will get bored keeping on repeating this ...]. It's a system of multilateral agreements and treaties. But these agreements and treaties are valid for a single country until in that country there is a law stating that those agreements and treaties are valid.

In US the President can do what Trump has done. Period.

Is this positive or negative?

Romania has decided to recognize Jerusalem as capital of Israel [Romania to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital: PM pledges | DW | 24.03.2019]. Are Muslim powers going to invade Romania? Is Turkey going to cut relationships with such a strategical partner? No, they aren't ... trust me.
In US, a presidential order by one could be reversed by the next president.

Aug 2014
Australia
The Golan Heights has been part of Israel since 1967. It is no different to Russia taking the Crimea a few years ago. It is done and no amount of foreign pressure will change it. Both regions are too important for their occupying country's national security and both countries will go to all-out war to protect them.