• Hiram Ulysses Grant

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Wouldn't the largest "frozen accident" of circumstances regarding any of their reputations be that Wellington ended the career of the person in all modern history that is supported by the most effective army of propagandists and hagiographers?

If I understood early Roman history better than I do, I might not have made that statement by the way...
Generally I feel people don't hang evaluation Wellington's ability as a general on the battle of Waterloo. I certainly don't.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Generally I feel people don't hang evaluation Wellington's ability as a general on the battle of Waterloo. I certainly don't.
Well, I think even for enthusiasts of military history who have read on the era more than I, the baseline of common perception of Wellington surely is Waterloo.

Waterloo and its significance are the substrate of all interpretations of his career, it is inescapable.

My comment surely wasn't meant to imply anything about you, Pugs. I defer to the fact that you have probably read 3x what I have on this era, with less than half as much time to fit in the study!

Feb 2019
Serbia
Well, I think even for enthusiasts of military history who have read on the era more than I, the baseline of common perception of Wellington surely is Waterloo.

Waterloo and its significance are the substrate of all interpretations of his career, it is inescapable.

My comment surely wasn't meant to imply anything about you, Pugs. I defer to the fact that you have probably read 3x what I have on this era, with less than half as much time to fit in the study!
When common people think about Wellington Waterloo is probably the first (and only) thing that pops in their mind when they think about his military career with some vague recollection of something called the ''Peninsular War'' but no knowledge of what that is and indeed no in-depth knowledge of Waterloo.

I think Waterloo was one of the lower points of his career actually and rate him primarily based on the Peninsular War and his campaigns in India, I belive most people interested in him and his military career do so. His expedition to Denmark and his service in Flanders were rather minor and while not bad weren't some hallmark of brilliance either.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
@Mastersonmcvoidson , I suppose if those Avalon-Hill rule makers had designed a more appealing format to game the Peninsular Campaigns I'd be comfortable to feel that Spain is actually "in my depth". As was the case, however, 1982 and '83 my mates and I had several attempts at both Austerlitz and the 4th Coalition (A-H named the scenario "Jena to Friedland"). Since I didn't game play the Peninsular Campaign, almost 40 years have passed and I haven't invested in a single title about Spain in that era....

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
@Mastersonmcvoidson , I suppose if those Avalon-Hill rule makers had designed a more appealing format to game the Peninsular Campaigns I'd be comfortable to feel that Spain is actually "in my depth". As was the case, however, 1982 and '83 my mates and I had several attempts at both Austerlitz and the 4th Coalition (A-H named the scenario "Jena to Friedland"). Since I didn't game play the Peninsular Campaign, almost 40 years have passed and I haven't invested in a single title about Spain in that era....
Empires in Arms was the only Napoleonic board war game that I liked.

Generally I stick to miniatures games in the Napoleonic period.

Reactions: Kotromanic
Jun 2019
USA
In place of Grant for the Poll, I submit Winfield Scott, who came up with the Anaconda Plan that Grant followed, and doesn't hurt to remind everyone that the Iron Duke called Scott the greatest living soldier after his Mexican campaign

Nov 2019
United States
In place of Grant for the Poll, I submit Winfield Scott, who came up with the Anaconda Plan that Grant followed, and doesn't hurt to remind everyone that the Iron Duke called Scott the greatest living soldier after his Mexican campaign
"Facepalm"