Greatest battles in Antiquity(based on Importance)

Greatest battles in Antqiuity

• Total voters
Aug 2018
America
Of those that you put, I choose Ipsus, a battle that decided that no further European armies would set foot in inner Asia east of Iraq for the next 1,800 years until the arrival of the Portuguese. Greeks would continue in Central Asia, but this would be now Asian Greeks born in Asian soil, not European land. Moreover, the Battle of Ipsus inspired Hannibal to use elephants to make his way all the way into Italy and win the first half of the Second Punic War, stopping Roman advances into Africa for over a decade and also leaving Roman vassalage in North Africa after they won the war highly unstable so that by the time they had pacified the region, further advances had been crippled. One can only imagine how Africa would look today had Rome won the war much sooner and decided to expand into inner Africa as a result, meaning that even the battle of Cannae was just a result of Ipsus (certainly Hannibal didn't make use of elephants for that battle, but his use of elephants still helped him get to the Alps and get to central Italy).

Reactions: MinecraftEsportsPro
Aug 2018
America
Also, for all the talk about the Greek victories over the Persians, Asian armies still managed to enter as deep as France after Plataea and Salamis, whether Sarmatians, Alans, Huns or Arabs (even if the Alans and Sarmatians did so only as mercenaries), while other Asian armies like the Mongols and Ottomans would be able to conquer Russia and Greece itself. Meanwhile, like I said, European armies after Ipsus only got as far as Iraq and never managed to go deeper than that ever again. Alexander the Great's advance into northern India was the first and last time an European army would get that deep into Asia before the onset of European colonialism in the 1490s when the Portuguese would attack Arabia and India from the sea. As Carthaginians were originally Asian Phoenicians, and they also conquered much European territory, that also means that the Greek defeat of Persians only stopped Asian invasions for about two centuries.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
One should look at which battle had the most important consequences. The Battle of Actium is probably more important than any in the above list.

Oct 2018
Sydney
I gave a vote to Salamis, but I also voted 'Other' for the sake of Actium and the Milvian Bridge.

Salamis: The Greek victory played a major role in the defeat of the Persian invasion, and thus allowed the golden age of Athenian democracy to happen.

Actium: It entailed the autocracy of the younger Caesar, who became Augustus and established the foundations of Roman emperorship.

Milvian Bridge: Constantine's defeat of Maxentius prompted the beginning of Christendom.

Last edited:

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Speaking in the west Gaugamela for the east it's red cliff or Guandu but probably red cliff
I would say Gaixia was more important for China than Guandu or the Red Cliff. After Gaixia, Liu Bang was able to fully consolidate his power and establish a dynasty which ruled China for 4 centuries.

Aug 2019
tilted towers
One should look at which battle had the most important consequences. The Battle of Actium is probably more important than any in the above list.
Yeah I have know clue how I forgot to add it, and it wouldn’t let me edit it in as an option after a couple minutes.