Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Battle of Smolensk 1941

• Other

• Total voters
Feb 2015
washington
I did some more research this time and hopefully most of you will agree with my choices. Although there is no set definition for a battle of annihilation I've picked a somewhat arbitrary number of the defeated force's army losing at least 25 % of their force through death, wounds or capture. For certain battles, especially more ancient ones an exact of casualties is impossible to ascertain, but I have tried my best to judge the scope of defeat/victory for inclusion on this poll.
I understand that this list will have a somewhat strong western bias although I have tried to alleviate that to some extent, but my knowledge of oriental history is almost non-existent before modern times and for that I apologize.

Furthermore I have tried to avoid listing too many battles from a single conflict( e.g WWII) so there is more diversity of choices.
You can pick up to 8 choices for whatever reason you choose, be it skill of the winning sides commander/army, sheer epicness or impact on history.

Feb 2013
Minot Airforce base
would the roman siege of Jerusalem count? I know no one is exactly sure of the causalities but they were very high for an ancient battle iirc

Isoroku295

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
In the Past
I say Stalingrad. Completely erased the Germans 6th army, and all but destroyed the southern army group as a powerful group.

Feb 2013
Minot Airforce base
Yeah Stalingrad is the winner to me, it smashed the german Wehrmacht then Kursk was a knockout punch.

Zama is up there to for me, that battle ended carthage.

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
I picked Stalingrad. It was a big blow for Germany and more than two million soldiers were involved during the Soviet counter-offensive.

Poly

Ad Honorem
Apr 2011
Georgia, USA
I feel Cannae wasn't as absolute. Rome just kept going. Stalingrad was considered the turning point where any chances of winning largely fell away.
No, Rome won the war but Cannae was a masterpiece operational battlefield maneuver

And the Roman army was almost entirely annihilated