Greatest Composers of all time?

Nov 2016
Germany
This thread is for the greatest composers.
How do you justify that Danny Elfman does NOT belong to a list of "greatest composers"? I think "greatest composer" is a qualification also open to score composers, and not only to composers who are plainly listed in antiquated schoolbooks, as you are obviously believing. What counts is musical quality, don´t you think? If not, this thread should be titled "Greatest composers as listed in the schoolbooks". Maybe your opinion will be considered ridiculous in a future when composers like Elfman, Zimmer and Jablonsky are seen as composers not less respectable than Schostakovic or Tschaikowksy.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Cornwall
How do you justify that Danny Elfman does NOT belong to a list of "greatest composers"? I think "greatest composer" is a qualification also open to score composers, and not only to composers who are plainly listed in antiquated schoolbooks, as you are obviously believing. What counts is musical quality, don´t you think? If not, this thread should be titled "Greatest composers as listed in the schoolbooks".
Don't think I've ever read about composers in schoolbooks. But I do have ears. So it's Wagner and Tchaikovsky for me with the odd sprinkling of Elgar.

Nov 2010
Indiana
How do you justify that Danny Elfman does NOT belong to a list of "greatest composers"? I think "greatest composer" is a qualification also open to score composers, and not only to composers who are plainly listed in antiquated schoolbooks, as you are obviously believing. What counts is musical quality, don´t you think? If not, this thread should be titled "Greatest composers as listed in the schoolbooks". Maybe your opinion will be considered ridiculous in a future when composers like Elfman, Zimmer and Jablonsky are seen as composers not less respectable than Schostakovic or Tschaikowksy.
To be the greatest composer in history I would think you would have to be part of history rather than somebody that is still living. Will he be remembered 50 years after he is dead.

Similar History Discussions