Greatest Composers of all time?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
This piano concerto doesn't give the soloist much rest except perhaps in the popular second movement. I think Mozart was in a good mood when he wrote this

Yeol Eum Son soloist

Last edited:

JPK

Jun 2019
Chicago Suburbs
I would say that, based on a purely quantitative analysis - i. e., the number of people who have actually listened to their music - Lennon and McCartney would certainly qualify as would Neil Diamond, John Williams and Richard Rodgers.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Being Italian my culture has educated me a lot about music. So the answer is not easy.

But I'm not nationalist about music, so don't expect me to indicate Verdi. Verdi is in the paradise of the composers, without doubt. Anyway, my personal opinion, based on the structures of the works, is that Mozart has been the best composer ever.

The problem is that such a judgment is partially subjective. No way. What I can add is ... try and play Mozart using a violin ...

Reactions: Runa

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I would say that, based on a purely quantitative analysis - i. e., the number of people who have actually listened to their music - Lennon and McCartney would certainly qualify as would Neil Diamond, John Williams and Richard Rodgers.
It's always interesting to debate these things. I'll give you Richard Rodgers whom I posted on this thread: (Slaughter on Tenth Avenue and Carousel Waltz) . I'll Also give you John Williams. The others are talented songwriters/performers. There's a difference between writing 3-5 minute songs and more complex productions lasting from 20 minutes to an hour or more. The Beatles have created some the best melodies and lyrics of the last 70 years within the popular song genre and will no doubt be remembered.

I do reject "quantitative analysis" as a way to evaluate music. By that standard Justin Bieber's music would be among one he greatest of all time.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPK

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
The problem is that such a judgment is partially subjective. No way. What I can add is ... try and play Mozart using a violin ...
Well he did write 5 violin concertos. I posted the Third at the top of page 24. Hilary Hahn is the soloist and although she is one of the most acclaimed active violinists, the Pope appears to be less than thrilled (although apparently he did praise her performance later.)