Greatest Composers of all time?

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Well he did write 5 violin concertos. I posted the Third at the top of page 24. Hilary Hahn is the soloist and although she is one of the most acclaimed active violinists, the Pope appears to be less than thrilled (although apparently he did praise her performance later.)
Steven, it's like about sport: the best 20 boxers can be champion, but at the end only one will be champion. But in sport there is a direct confrontation: how can you organize a challenge between Mozart and Verdi or between Beethoven and Puccini ... and so on?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Steven, it's like about sport: the best 20 boxers can be champion, but at the end only one will be champion. But in sport there is a direct confrontation: how can you organize a challenge between Mozart and Verdi or between Beethoven and Puccini ... and so on?
I don't know if you saw the first post on page 24 of the thread, but the Pope is Benedict XVI who is German, so he should have liked Mozart over Verdi or Puccini.:)

Jun 2019
Chicago Suburbs
It's always interesting to debate these things. I'll give you Richard Rodgers whom I posted on this thread: (Slaughter on Tenth Avenue and Carousel Waltz) . I'll Also give you John Williams. The others are talented songwriters/performers. There's a difference between writing 3-5 minute songs and more complex productions lasting from 20 minutes to an hour or more. The Beatles have created some the best melodies and lyrics of the last 70 years within the popular song genre and will no doubt be remembered.

I do reject "quantitative analysis" as a way to evaluate music. By that standard Justin Bieber's music would be among one he greatest of all time.
I do reject quantitative analysis as well. In fact, my favorite composers of "classical" music are Beethoven, Liszt, Rachmaninoff and Aaron Copland. Andre Watts playing Liszt's Grande Etudes is probably my favorite recording of piano music and Carlos Kleiber conducting the Vienna Philharmonic in the 7th Symphony is my favorite orchestral recording.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I do reject quantitative analysis as well. In fact, my favorite composers of "classical" music are Beethoven, Liszt, Rachmaninoff and Aaron Copland. Andre Watts playing Liszt's Grande Etudes is probably my favorite recording of piano music and Carlos Kleiber conducting the Vienna Philharmonic in the 7th Symphony is my favorite orchestral recording.
I thought you were going to argue that Bieber was good as Bach. Well they both have German names, right? It seems we agree that qualitative analysis is more important when it comes to music. If you like classical music you stand to be accused of being an effete snob. I can't speak for others because I like popular music when its good and don't when it's .......well let's say I don't feel like hearing it again. As for LvB's 7th, the second movement always gets to me. It's amazing that such a simple set of repeating musical phrases could generate such emotion. Could his deafness have actually given his music that particular quality?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Any one of you aware of the best music composers in India? Here also there are lots of reputed music composers who can take the music to the next level.
There are lists of Indian composers on the internet. Some write in the Western style and many in the various Indian styles.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
There are many variations on this since it was rediscovered in the 1960's. This one claims to be the original but in fact the original was lost. Nevertheless this is a clean rendition. Too many are "modernized." The piece is said to date from about 1690.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions