Greatest Composers of all time?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
This piece by JS Bach was posted as a string ensemble on page 15 (post 145) of this thread. Here is a solo organ performance.

Last edited:

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
This was the first Beethoven piece I heard as a child. I heard it after listening to Mozart's Night Music. The contrast was obvious and unexpected .

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I'm going out on a limb here but I think the violinist above (355) at the front left is David Garrett and I'm guessing the young violinist to his right is his daughter. Just a guess.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I don't find David Garrett on "best" lists based on musician polls. Perhaps because he's considered a "crossover" to more popular genres. AFAIK he is not on the concert circuit and I've not seen any major extended works with him as soloist; only shorter works like this. I also show Julia Fischer (from page 34) who has done many major concerts and is on all the reliable lists I've seen.

In comparing them side by side I find Garrett is smoother while Fischer is more gritty with deliberate dissonance that others also used when playing this Paganini piece. The near impossible decrescendo right at the end is done better by Fischer. Paganini could supposedly play 12 notes in one second which that last phrase requires. I think she was close if not there.

The two are both German and friends who have worked together in the past. Any comments on which you prefer?

Last edited:
Reactions: sparky

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Mozart's Night Music was mentioned on page 36 post 353 as a contrast to Beethoven. He was still writing this contracted piece on the morning of the day the piece was to be performed that evening. He delivered it just hours before it was to be played. Fortunately had sent earlier parts to the orchestra members as he wrote. He was also working on other pieces at the time.