Greatest Emperor/King/Ruler

Aug 2019
tilted towers
The person who brought prosperity to their empire, saved it from collapse, made it a better place, or gave the people a better life.

Mine is Augustus.

Jan 2017
Italy, EU
Limiting myself to Emperors (the ones that i find most interesting, not necessarily successful):

Caesar Augustus

Trajan

Marcus Aurelius

Justinian

Charlemagne

Frederick II

Karl V

Napoleon

Last edited:

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Stefan Uroš I of Serbia - often underappreciated and left in the shadow of both his grandfather and father and of his descendants. Similar to how Aleksandar Karađorđević is also called "King Unifier", I think Stefan Uroš I should have the same nickname.

Feb 2019
Thrace
Cyrus the Great by the usual standards of greatness. Meaning that we judge each historical figure in accordance with his own time, and no prior monarch to Cyrus was remotely close the the grandeur of his accomplishments. He is generally described as a benevolent rulers who freed his people from the rule of a tyrant.

Another good option is Chandragupta Maurya. Self made man who overthrew a powerful tyrant and created the most powerful empire of his time.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Augustus, Trajan, Constantine of the unified Roman Empire.
Justinian I of the Eastern Romans.
Greatest medieval European king - Charlemagne.
Greatest early modern European ruler - Frederick the Great, Peter the Great, Pitt the Younger, Oliver Cromwell, Charles V of Spain, Suleiman.