Greatest Man Alive

Feb 2019
Thrace
Who would be your best guess as the future historians' most widely acclaimed "greatest man of his age" from the current crop? Ask most people on the internet and the most common answer is Elon Musk(and occasionally Donald Trump/Putin :p).

Feb 2017
Canada
All of the people usually defined as 'great' basically amount to persons with wealth and influence, which is a broken definition. Henry Ford was massively influential, but helped usher in Global Warming.

Has anyone from the current crop done anything significant for mankind? And for those who did positively influence mankind, were any of them not standing on the shoulders of giants?

It's a broken question, but the closest I can get to it is people like Ghandi, or maybe the odd political leader who is actually benevolent.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
On a side note, I was reading how in Europe indoor plumbing only really started circa 1910 (before that just a few very rich had it)... Indoor plumbing has had a huge effect on mankind (if you dont believe it , cut off your water supply for a couple of days).... yet the architects of that are "unsung heroes", while we remember many a general from WW1 for example (even though all many of them did was to get a lot of people killed).... So I am not really sure what the criteria for "greatness" would be.... I would tend to favor inventors of useful stuff but they often remain obscure while a Steve Jobs (who by all accounts was an a-hole) will probably qualify......

BTW what is "this age" ?

Feb 2019
Thrace
On a side note, I was reading how in Europe indoor plumbing only really started circa 1910 (before that just a few very rich had it)... Indoor plumbing has had a huge effect on mankind (if you dont believe it , cut off your water supply for a couple of days).... yet the architects of that are "unsung heroes", while we remember many a general from WW1 for example (even though all many of them did was to get a lot of people killed).... So I am not really sure what the criteria for "greatness" would be.... I would tend to favor inventors of useful stuff but they often remain obscure while a Steve Jobs (who by all accounts was an a-hole) will probably qualify......

BTW what is "this age" ?
Let's say most "worthy of admiration human in the world" by your own standards. And I'd say generally that 21th century figures should be the searching area but whoever is your choice, he should at least be alive today.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Who would be your best guess as the future historians' most widely acclaimed "greatest man of his age" from the current crop? Ask most people on the internet and the most common answer is Elon Musk(and occasionally Donald Trump/Putin :p).
A woman: Theresa May .....:cool:

I cannot decide if I have to fall in love with her :love: or if I have to hate her :mad:, but sure she will remain in history books. It's a month that she, like Wile Coyote, makes a daily attempt to solve the problem of Brexit ... just to see a big stone falling on her head. She's so cute ...:hug:

This was romantic political satire!

Similar History Discussions