Greatest monarchs of the 6th century AD

Feb 2019
Thrace
In Europe, the most remarkable one was easily Justinian, followed by Theodoric maybe?

In the Middle East, the Sasanian kings were enjoying a golden age so it was mostly them.

In the far east, Emperor Wen of Sui was easily the greatest.

Did other more competent kings ruled during this century?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Just to enlarge the perspective: Mayans.

VI century CE? Mayans at Palenque were developing their civilization [they were in their Classical Period]. Now, according to the original records, also because of the great importance that the successors recognized to him, with his long and successful reign, we can remember K’AN JOY CHITAM I, 5th Sovereign of Palenque, who ruled from 529 to 565CE.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Do we know of great monarchs from Tikal and Teotihuacan during this period?
As for I know, the V century CE was the Golden Age of Teotihuacan [and it was a really big city for that context], the VI century was the beginning of its historical decline. Anyway no name comes to my mind [I will try and make a search].

As for I know, the V century CE was the Golden Age of Teotihuacan [and it was a really big city for that context], the VI century was the beginning of its historical decline. Anyway no name comes to my mind [I will try and make a search].
Looking through wiki, Spearthrower Owl appears to have been a particularly notable ruler in the 4th and 5th centuries. He wielded influence as far south as Tikal and appears to have installed puppets or allies on Mayan thrones (Spearthrower Owl - Wikipedia). Yet to find a 6th century ruler.

Last edited:

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
At first glance, no Indian ruler seems to have been exceptional, and they are always among the usual suspects. Maybe more knowledgeable posters can correct me on this.
If there is a possibility to find a great Monarch in India in VI century CE, I would consider the Gupta Empire. But like for Teotihuacan, also the Gupta dynasty was declining [here it's worse: the decline begun in late V century CE]. The VI century was a bad period for Indian rulers.

Similar History Discussions