Greatest monarchs of the 6th century AD

Jan 2014
Westmorland
Oswiu of Northumbria. He started off on the back foot after the death of his brother in battle against Penda of Mercia, but ultimately was able to stablise the situation, kill Penda and manage to be pretty much the only sixth-century king of Northumbria who died in his bed rather than in battle. During his reign, Northumbria dominated the politcial scene in Britain.

Of course, there's far more to success than just fighting. Oswiu laid the bedrock for the so-called 'Golden Age' of Northumbria, where for the first and only time in British history, the north of England held cultural sway. The Golden Age led to a flowering of creative expression and learning which found its most permanent physical form in things like illuminated manuscripts and the beautiful carved crosses of Ruthwell and Bewcastle.

Oswiu also settled the religious schism between the Celtic and Roman churches at the Synod of Whitby. In so doing, he connected Northumbria to the wider Roman Christian world and set the ecclesiaistical agenda which survived until Henry VIII decided one morning that nothing was more important than getting to shag Ann Boleyn in the marital bed.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I nominate Bayan I, khagan of the Avars. He subjugated the Slavs, consolidated Avar lands and really gave Byzantium a run for its money in the Balkans, winning important victories, most notable one being the capture of Syrmium. He captured other cities like Singidunum, reached as far as modern-day Corlu uand forced the Empire to pay him tribute. Bayan I really made the Avars a formidable force that would give Byzantium trouble even after his death, famously attacking Constantinople with the Persians in 626.

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Justinian was kind of terrible for Europe. Europe was improving fairly quickly in the early 5th century, but following Justinian's invasion, it would be centuries until growth would reoccur in certain areas. Particularly in Italy. Also, the destruction of the Ostrogothic Kingdom may have stunted the growth of the rest of Europe.

At the same time, the destruction of the globalist economy may have been better in the long run. That's aside my point! My point is Justinian = Badman.

Similar History Discussions