Greatest monarchs who never reigned

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Who do you think are the greatest monarchs (or monarchs-in-waiting) who never reigned?

Personally, I live Otto von Habsburg (Kaiser Karl's son) due to his advocacy of European integration. Had Austria-Hungary survived, I suspect that he would have made a fine ruler of A-H and possibly helped transform A-H into a mini-European Union.

Anyway, who do you think qualify for this list?

Aug 2012
I'd have to say Prince Arthur. It's hard to get an accurate read on his personality, given how prone diplomats were to flattery when reporting on the manner of Royal persons, but when one considers the brutality, greed and wastefulness of Henry VIII's reign, Arthur becomes one of the most tragic what-if's in England's history.
Would he have been a good King? Hard to say. Would he have been better than his pig of a brother? Christ, how could he not?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Agreed about Arthur. I do wonder if he would have likewise made a break with Rome had his wife failed to produce a surviving son, though.

Also, I wonder if the Tsarevich Nicholas (1843-1865) would have made a better ruler than his younger brother Tsar Alexander III did. For that matter, had Tsar Nicholas II died before 1904, his younger brother Michael would have become the new Russian Tsar--possibly with better results in comparison to real life.

Reactions: paranoid marvin

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
Who do you think are the greatest monarchs (or monarchs-in-waiting) who never reigned?

One of the most obvious would be Edward the Black Prince, victor of the Battle of Crecy and Poitiers.
He died one year before his father, Edward III.

Edward the Black Prince - Wikipedia

733.JPG

paranoid marvin

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
uk
Reactions: Futurist

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Believe it:

Charles the Bold

He built a kindgom, acted as king and was almost crowned as a king by the Emperor in 1473 in a rocambolesque episode. But he was not.

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
This guy was a militarily adpet politician who came surprisingly close to ending the Mughal reign forever, 300 years before their actual end.
Hemu - Wikipedia

India would have been a very different place had he reigned.

Feb 2019
Serbia

Personally, I live Otto von Habsburg (Kaiser Karl's son) due to his advocacy of European integration. Had Austria-Hungary survived, I suspect that he would have made a fine ruler of A-H and possibly helped transform A-H into a mini-European Union.

Prince Frederick would've been an interesting monarch, he died in 1751, 9 years before his father George II, if he became king in 1760 he would be relatively aged (He was born in 1707.) however if he lived up to the 1770s we might've seen a different British government policy and outcomes in the 7 Years' War and the American Revolution.

The Grand Dauphin Louis ( died 1711.) or the Little Dauphin Louis (died 1712, at the age of 29.) would've been interesting monarchs as successors to Louis XIV and maybe would've been more competent than Louis XV.