Greatest number of war elephants ever used?

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
Did not know that they gave the elepfant wine before they go into a battle.
A difference to the Indian Elefant is their social behaviour:
"Flavius Philostratus recalled one of his anecdotes: "And I have read in the discourse of Juba that elephants assist one another when they are being hunted, and that they will defend one that is exhausted, and if they can remove him out of danger, they anoint his wounds with the tears of the aloe tree, standing round him like physicians."

Last edited:

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
i am new to this subject so i am interessted if there have been Experiments of using Indianelephants to cross the alps.I could be that theres is a difference and i wouldnt be suprised that northafrican elefants are better to handle such a track becaause they are familiar with mountains and by the way it is said they Aare a Kind of forestelefants but isnt it that they lived more in the Atlasmountains and thus they are/were to be called Mountainelefants.
Short Answer:

Yes.

Long Answer:

You have to remember that when people travel across mountains to get from one side to the other they usually take the easiest route. They don't usually climb up to the peak of a mountain and down the other side if their goal is to get to the other side. Instead they take passes between mountains that are as low as they can find. And elephants are more sure footed than many people think.

Several different routes have been proposed as the one used by Hannibal's army to cross the Alps.

Hannibal's crossing of the Alps - Wikipedia

Suleiman, a young bull Asian elephant crossed the Alps by the Brenner Pass from Italy to Austria in the winter of 1551-1552. The Brenner Pass was too far off of Hannibal's route to have been used by him.

Suleiman (elephant) - Wikipedia

The female Asian elephant Hansken (1630-1653) toured Europe demonstrating tricks. She mostly toured in the Netherlands and Germany, but made a trip to Italy where presumably she crossed the Alps.

n July 1651, Hansken travelled to Zürich, Solothurn, Bregenz and St. Gallen, and on to Rome. She visited Florence, where she was drawn by artist Stefano della Bella. On the way back from Rome, the elephant died in Florence. Della Bella also drew her corpse after her death on 9 November 1655.
Hansken - Wikipedia

I presume that in the 19th century several circuses may have crossed the Alps with circus elephants before there were trains across the Alps.

In 1936 Richard Halliburton crossed the Alps with an Asian elephant, Dally, using the St. Bernard Pass:

An Elephant Invades Italy in 1936 - Beachcombing's Bizarre History Blog

Then there was the British Alpine Hannibal Expedition in 1959.

The British Alpine Hannibal Expedition was an experimental archeology event that took place in 1959. British engineer John Hoyte led an expedition that tried to reenact aspects of Hannibal's legendary crossing of the Alps during the Second Punic War in 218 BCE. The group successfully took the female Asian elephant Jumbo, provided by a zoo in Turin, from France over the Col du Mont Cenis into Italy.
The members of the expedition originally planned to call the 5,700 pound (2.6 t) elephant Hannibella, however, the animal could not be made to respond to the new name and thus remained Jumbo.[3][6] Jumbo was 11 years old and equipped with leather boots and knee pads for the most treacherous passages. A specially made coat was provided to keep her warm.[5] Despite a diet consisting of 150 pounds (68 kg) of hay, 50 pounds (23 kg) of apples, 40 pounds (18 kg) of bread, 20 pounds (9.1 kg) of carrots, and a vitamin B supplement per day, she lost an estimated 300 pounds (140 kg) during the first 4 days of the trip,[2] and nearly 500 pounds (230 kg) in total. On arrival in Italy, she consumed cake and a Magnum bottle of Chianti.[5]

In 1960, Hoyte published a report on the expedition as Trunk Road for Hannibal: With an Elephant Over the Alps.[8][9] Expedition member Cynthia Pilkington published the book "Elephant Over the Alps" in 1961, telling the story of the expedition.[10]
British Alpine Hannibal Expedition - Wikipedia

This program that was broadcast on April 10, 2018 claims that the route used by Hannibal has been proved to be the Col de la Traversette:

SECRETS OF THE DEAD: Hannibal In The Alps

And this article agrees:

The truth about Hannibal’s route across the Alps

But I don't know if they are correct. In any case, the answer to your question is yes, there have been successful experiments to cross the Alps with Asian elephants.

Last edited:
Mar 2015
Europe
I don't know how accurate the claim of 2000 elephants is, but I won't put it beyond the logistical capabilities of the Mughals. And water is not an issue when there are rivers around, which was the case.
At Karnal, Moguls also had 50 000 heavy horse.

How does the feed requirement of an elephane compare to that of a horse? Elephant eats several times as much as a horse, but I am sure not 10 times as much.
The Moguls engaged in large scale bookkeeping and defining allowances for warhorses in their service. What were the official Mogul accounting data as to how the cost of, say, 10 elephants compares to, say, 50 horses - what would a mansabdar be paid for each of such contingents?

Nov 2019
Bylanuelde,Alemannia
@MAGolding
Thanks for the info.
There was a discovery of ivory found in a cave in Ben Slimane some Task were analyzed and with shregers-anqle you can categorize which Elephantspecies the ivory belong to.A Bushelefant has the Anqle of 118° and and the pieces had 116°,118° and 119°.
So Bushelefant lived also in Northafrica ,were the carthagene Elefant also Bushelefant is the another question.

Source :Arun,Banerjee et.al, Die Elfenbeinfunde aus Kehf-el-Bourud(Zaïda,Ben Slimane ,Morocco) und die Frage des Nordafrikanischen Elefanten, P.118-126, in Madrider Mitteilungen 52,113-138, W. Dindorf, A. Mikdad, Th. Reischmann, Th. X. Schuhmacher, 2011