Greatest pre-colonial African ruler?

Jun 2015
UK
For me, it's Mansa Musa. Supposedly he was the wealthiest man who ever lived, but then he seemed like a capable ruler. Then Osei Tutu, who founded the Asante kingdom in modern day Ghana. Many of the institutions he laid down still exist today, and whilst Asante traded a lot of slaves, it was the reality of the time.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For me, it's Mansa Musa. Supposedly he was the wealthiest man who ever lived, but then he seemed like a capable ruler. Then Osei Tutu, who founded the Asante kingdom in modern day Ghana. Many of the institutions he laid down still exist today, and whilst Asante traded a lot of slaves, it was the reality of the time.
Couldn't at least one of the Ancient Egyptian Pharaohs beat Mansa Musa in regards to this, though?

Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas
How about Ramesses II of Egypt? He led Ancient Egypt at its high water mark.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
The extension of the Mali Empire, from the region of Timbuktu to the Atlantic coast, is comparable with ancient "KmT" [Egypt]. Anyway Egypt expanded its sphere of influence South and even beyond the borderlines of the African continent [Egyptian influence in Canaan was very strong in the age of Ramses II, to be clear it was substantially a province of the Egyptian Empire].

Furthermore, the Egyptian Pharaoh had to face a tough competition by the Hittites. This would give to Ramses II [and the other Pharaoh of that period] a certain credit about being the greatest African rulers before of colonialism.

Mar 2012
Magdeburg
I think Egyptians at most is not considered as an African empire, actually i think none of the northern african kingdoms considered african but rather mediterranean, or egypt could be near-east. This is not my opinion though, just what i observed so far.

Sep 2013
United States
What about King Piye? The King of Kush who was able to invade Egypt and establish the 25th dynasty in Egypt?

Also Lukeni lua Nimi seems to be very powerful, he was the founder of the Kingdom of Kongo.

Last edited:
Mar 2012
Redneck Country, AKA Texas
I think Egyptians at most is not considered as an African empire, actually i think none of the northern african kingdoms considered african but rather mediterranean, or egypt could be near-east. This is not my opinion though, just what i observed so far.
So you only want to consider Sub-Saharan rulers for the question?

Similar History Discussions