Greatest Samurai Warrior

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
Who do you guys think was the greatest Samurai Warrior, notice I did not say Leader, like tokugawa. By Warrior, I mean men like Morimasa Sakuma, Shibata Katsuie, Kato Kiyomasa, etc.

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
Miyamoto was ok, I consider him to be kind of like the celebrity of the samurai, everyone hypes him up but I don't think he really deserves a lot of the hype.

Jun 2009
It is pretty hard to compare and know who is the greatest under the common soldiers. Active samurai were soldiers, a warrior class.Even when there is someone greater before Musashi no one has the time or interest to record it. Miyamoto and the other samurais became famous when fighting became rare under Tokugawa, those ronins just wandering around with nothing to do than compete with each other or teaching their style. The famous and well known samurais became famous when the real high time of samurais were over.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Minamoto No Tametomo.....anyone who can sink an enemy vessel with one shot from his bow needs to be considered on this list.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
I personally love that tale as well. The Gempei War is so overlooked in comparison to the time of Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, and Ieyasu.

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
As Buddhist I have to say that the greatest is he who does not permit us to see his greatness.

Sep 2008
in a place
What about Yukimura Sanada or Shingen Takeda or even Kenshin Usuegi(spelling?) I also thought Mitsuhide Akechi was an interesting samurai. Or even what about that Yamamoto guy. hmm well there are so many to choose from. Oh and of course Tadakatsu Honda

Jul 2009
Watford
As Buddhist I have to say that the greatest is he who does not permit us to see his greatness.
Thats a great point.
It one thing i have been looking for in a book for some time and cant seem to find a decennt book on the subject of religious warriors
all religions are against violence but personal i belive that there are times that require a military response.From the little i have read on the samurai they were religious the ssame with certain warrior monks of other societies how is this allowed/justified?