Greatest Scholars of the Arabic Golden Age

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Yes, the subcontinent has some stunning buildings. Shouldn't be a surprise, from a culture from a time when ancient Britons still painted themselves blue and lived in mud huts. (2600-1900 bce)

My sis visited Cambodia last year Stunned by the beauty and area of the remnants of the Khmer civilisation..

Mar 2013
Escandinavia y Mesopotamia
Al-Khwarizmi would definitely be the most important as his works and idea are essential in term of creating computer. Thought, he was lucky that he lived near India where he had access to the 10-digit-system so-called “Arabic numerals” when it in facts was an Indian invention. With Diophantus' aritmethic and now having access to the “Arabic numerals” it was bound to happen that he will develop mathematic a step further.

The Islamic Golden Ages does not mean that Medieval Islamic Middle East was superior to Christian Europe as the latter contributed just as much to science, but it describes a process when some cultural and political obstacles were removed. Because Byzanitine-Persian hostility/borders prevented interaction between west and east, but once the Caliphate conquered Middle East the cultural and political obstacles were removed and thus idea flourished.

Now this saying, nothing suggests that Islamic Golden Ages produced more than Christian Europe in Middle Ages as the “Dark Ages”-narrative is an outdated teaching today.

Agreed,Islamic architecture produced some of the most beautiful buildings in the world.-Hagia Sofia, Taj Mahal, The Alhambra. They make many great Christian buildings look vulgar, imo.

Depictions of human beings faded away, but not over night.
Oh, suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. – Please, get some basic facts!.

Hagia Sofia is Christian architecture, not Islamic. Don't be confused by the four minarets which were later Islamic construction. The grandiose outstanding monumental building which by way completely dwarfed other contemporary Pagan inferior culture in Europe, is completely Christian, not Islamic. The Mosque–Cathedral of Cordoba also have some Christian post-buildings, but it is essentially an Islamic architecture.

I know that for some people history is divided into “good” and “bad”, and for you due to your Neo-atheistic assumption when wicked Christians are the builders then it is automatically bad, but I am glad that Hagia Sofia trapped you. :lol::lol::lol:

And by the way: Christian buildings DO depict humans. It is mainly (Sunni) Muslims that ban icons apart from the early Rahidun which was an exception. Again, get some basic facts instead of spouting ahistorical nonsense.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Al-Khwarizmi would definitely be the most important as his works and idea are essential in term of creating computer. Thought, he was lucky that he lived near India where he had access to the 10-digit-system so-called “Arabic numerals” when it in facts was an Indian invention. With Diophantus' aritmethic and now having access to the “Arabic numerals” it was bound to happen that he will develop mathematic a step further.

The Islamic Golden Ages does not mean that Medieval Islamic Middle East was superior to Christian Europe as the latter contributed just as much to science, but it describes a process when some cultural and political obstacles were removed. Because Byzanitine-Persian hostility/borders prevented interaction between west and east, but once the Caliphate conquered Middle East the cultural and political obstacles were removed and thus idea flourished.

Now this saying, nothing suggests that Islamic Golden Ages produced more than Christian Europe in Middle Ages as the “Dark Ages”-narrative is an outdated teaching today.

Oh, suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. – Please, get some basic facts!.

Hagia Sofia is Christian architecture, not Islamic. Don't be confused by the four minarets which were later Islamic construction. The grandiose outstanding monumental building which by way completely dwarfed other contemporary Pagan inferior culture in Europe, is completely Christian, not Islamic. The Mosque–Cathedral of Cordoba also have some Christian post-buildings, but it is essentially an Islamic architecture.

I know that for some people history is divided into “good” and “bad”, and for you due to your Neo-atheistic assumption when wicked Christians are the builders then it is automatically bad, but I am glad that Hagia Sofia trapped you. :lol::lol::lol:

And by the way: Christian buildings DO depict humans. It is mainly (Sunni) Muslims that ban icons apart from the early Rahidun which was an exception. Again, get some basic facts instead of spouting ahistorical nonsense.
Oops, I did know Hagia Sofia was built by Christians , but have always thought of it as an Islamic building. My bad. I guess I should have stuck with the Taj . Mahal, imo one of the most sublimely beautiful buildings on the planet. Built by Shah Jahan, for his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal, the gardens represent paradise (or is that wrong too?) . I have read that originally, the Shah planned to have a mirror image, in black marble, for himself, on the other side of the river.

With references to images of humans, I was referring to islamic use of images especially of the Prophet., poorly expressed. Apologies. I was raised Catholic. I'm fully aware images AND statues are still found in Catholic Churches. In Italy especially, there is also a long tradition of veneration of holy relics of saints. On one occasion I saw an entire saint, sumptuously robed, in a glass case. Catholics are accused by Muslims, Jews, and other Christian churches of idolatry. Can't imagine why.:rolleyes:

My ignorance does nothing to diminish the wonder of the Islamic golden age. Would you like me to write a few lines about the great Muslim philosopher, the Mulla Sadra?

Mistakes seemingly born of ignorance need to be corrected, not insulted .Otherwise , ignorant people such as myself simply become defensive ,and learn nothing.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Oops, I did know Hagia Sofia was built by Christians , but have always thought of it as an Islamic building. My bad. .
Usually better to convert than demolish. For one thing you can turn it to a mosque overnight be changing the signage, using modern speak. For another usually cost (excepting the above)

I can point you to several known examples in Spain - there will be many others without proof - where a church was Visigothic, then a muslim mosque, then ended up back a Christian church again!

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Agreed,Islamic architecture produced some of the most beautiful buildings in the world.-Hagia Sofia, Taj Mahal, The Alhambra. They make many great Christian buildings look vulgar, imo.

Looking at the Alhambra lets not forget it was built by the later Nazari kingdom of Granada, reconverting the old fortress, and there's certainly a lot of kings painted on it at least!!

Andalusians were always much more relaxed about religion and, free of the temporary intrusions of the fundamentalist African Empires, they could give full reign to their art and self-glorification. Sunni or not!!

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Oops, I did know Hagia Sofia was built by Christians...
I think that error is quite frequent…

I can point you to several known examples in Spain - there will be many others without proof - where a church was Visigothic, then a muslim mosque, then ended up back a Christian church again!
Not only in Spain :D

But as you say that “recycling” of places and buildings was quite frequent even before the Visigoths… we had pagan temples (or places of cult) that were Romanized to the Roman Pantheon, than Christianized still under the Romans, than… came the Suebi and the Goths!

Mar 2013
Escandinavia y Mesopotamia
Oops, I did know Hagia Sofia was built by Christians , but have always thought of it as an Islamic building. My bad.
If you KNEW that Hagia Sofia was built by the vulgar Christians then why did you thought it was Islamic building? That is logical contradiction and makes no sense.

The rest of your meandering waffles I can safely ignore as it doesn’t have any relevance to the discussion. If you have nothing substantially to add then perhaps you should avoid being personal.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
If you KNEW that Hagia Sofia was built by the vulgar Christians then why did you thought it was Islamic building? That is logical contradiction and makes no sense.

The rest of your meandering waffles I can safely ignore as it doesn’t have any relevance to the discussion. If you have nothing substantially to add then perhaps you should avoid being personal.
A case of the pot calling the kettle black there old boy.

If you don't like my posts, don't read them or simply ignore me.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009

I would like to point out that the Taj Mahal was built after the Arabic Golden Age, and was not built by Arabs either, so it doesn't qualify as part of the Golden Age, nor does the Hafia Sophia, which was a Christian building as was pointed out to you. And I find the Gothic cathedrals as beautiful and as impressive in their way as the Islamic buildings,, although .any of the Mosques are very beautiful.

The building of he Taj Mahal shows that although the Arabic Golden Age may have been a peak, the Islamic world was making impressive achievement long after it was regarded as over. The Islamic works may not have been leaders they once we're, but they were far from dead. However, it seems to me after the Gden Age, much of the intellectual leadership of the Islamic world was takeover by non Arabs. When I think of the great Islamic buildings after the Golden Age, they were not built by Arabs.

(The analogy of the he Ottoman's to Rome is a good one, the Romans did not make the same amount of scientific and technological advances as the lreceedinf Greek Hellenistic period, but they did make some important advance and had some impressive achievements, much of it base on prior Greek ones. The Islamic world was similar, the later Muslim world did refine and improve some of the achievement of the Golden Age. It was just those achievements tended to be surpassed by the achievements of the Renaissance and modern era.)

As to who the greatest scholar of the Arabic Golden Age was, there are many fine candidates and I really can't choose one.

Similar History Discussions