Greek deities, the Sanskrit connection

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
I am not following anything blindy. I am involved with it every day. There is a big difference. Do you follow physics blindly? I guess not. You need to understand it and make use of mathematics to do anything with it.

When we ask for sources, we mean that you should point out examples from those authors you mention that proove those "false theories". I will quote something Socrates said, that validates the relation of IE languages.
Could you translate that?

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Scandinavia, Balkans, Anatolia, Hatay
Could you translate that?
Of course!

Well, this word πῦρ (fire) is probably foreign; for it is difficult to connect it with the Greek language, and besides, the Phrygians have the same word, only slightly altered. The same is the case with ὕδωρ (water), κύων (dog), and many other words.

You can read the whole work here: Plato, Cratylus, page 410

They are talking about languages in general.

Mar 2013
Breakdancing on the Moon.
Of course, these are all native Greek words with several close cognates in Indic, Iranian, Anatolian, Phrygian etc (basically everything, the rules to adduce that are child's play). Which is an important point, ancient Greek sense of linguistics was pretty undeveloped. They are not reliable. Anyone wanting to rely on this kind of argumentation over modern science ought to man up and also submit to Galenic medicine etc.

Given how elementary this stuff is in the 21st century, it makes the asinine flailing of certain posters all the more ludicrous with their pathetic attempts at etymology and correspondences.

Jul 2014
Yes
Old Iranian is different from Old Greek and I've read somehwere it shows most similarities to Albanian, on some linguistic section of an antropology forum.

Midas

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Scandinavia, Balkans, Anatolia, Hatay
Old Iranian is different from Old Greek and I've read somehwere it shows most similarities to Albanian, on some linguistic section of an antropology forum.
Indo-Iranian in general shares many traits with Greek as they seem both to derive from late PIE and had close pre-historic contacts. Albanian is quite mysterious, but it is a satem language just like the Indo-Iranian languages.

Jul 2014
Former Corded Ware
Oldiranian and old indo-aryan languages orginate from the same language(proto-indo-iranian) so it is vey unlikely that indo-aryan languages are more related to greek languages than iranian langugaes.Both had many similarities with old greek.Albanian is quite different from iranian languages and has the most similarities with anatolian,greek and balto-slavic languages . Greeks and early indo-aryans had no contact and we can only assume that proto-indo-iranians and proto-greeks influenced each other when they lived in the pontic steppe.

Last edited:
Sep 2014
Texas
The IndoEuropean Greeks actually had god before they arrived in Greece. (I saw someone stating their gods came from elsewhere)
All IndoEuropean gods and goddesses with a few exceptions descend from the same gods that the IndoAryans had.

Mitra-Mithra-Midir-Modi the easiest to see.

Ecne of Ireland and Hayagriva of India (unless you are an ancient astronaut theorist) are descended from the same prophetic horse god. The Irish just kept their guy more human looking. An archeological dig in southern Russia found an ancient grave and among the remains was a man with a horse's head. The Irish like the prophetic horse and gave it to a pooka horse that appeared at Lughnasa and foretold the future.