H.G. Wells

Jul 2015
Salfordshire
Has anyone here read Wells' The Outline of History? If so, what did you think of it?
Great writer, great book! Of its time, naturally, and there's rather a lot of Wells himself in the interpretation of the history of (particularly religious) ideas, but what would you expect from such a man? My copy smells of damp and is rather tatty. Got it from a second-hand shop for about two quid. :cool:

jackydee

Ad Honorem
Jan 2013
Brigadoon
Great writer, great book! Of its time, naturally, and there's rather a lot of Wells himself in the interpretation of the history of (particularly religious) ideas, but what would you expect from such a man? My copy smells of damp and is rather tatty. Got it from a second-hand shop for about two quid. :cool:

Yes. Work, Wealth & Happiness was a book I was impressed by. My library copy smelt wonderfully stuffy. The Outine of History was the more concise book, wasn't it?

With hindsight both works weren't really so different to the tragic "isms" of the 20th century. This is perhaps unfair on Well's.

I enjoyed The Valley of Spiders it's a collection of short stories, Empire of the Ants being my favourite, very Twilight Zone/ Tales from the Crypt-like. It's like an early 20th century Stephen King collection with beautiful archaic language. War of the Worlds is amazing as well. Anyone read The Invisible Man?

Similar History Discussions