Habib Bourguiba: Tunisia's very own Atatürk

Afrasiyab

Ad Honorem
Sep 2007
How can we compare and contrast him with Mustafa Kemal Atatürk? Even though I did not the biography, I am very much impressed his talent from what I have read so far. Yet, it's inadequate. I will appreciate if some users would introduce him in a more detailed way to us.

Feb 2010
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk this link may help you
I didn't that Afrasiyab knows quite a lot about Atatürk :rolleyes: As for Habib Bourguiba, I don't much about his politics yet, but given that Tunisia is, by far, the most advanced and secular Arab country, I would say that his reforms were quite successful, even if they were not that radical as the ones implemented in Turkey (for example, Islam is the state religion). Specially in comparison with other Arab secular regimes, like those in Libya, Syria, Iraq or Algeria.

Mar 2010
Montréal
It's hard to compare two rulers that have different ideas and live in different contexts. I've never been to Turkey so it's hard for me to picture what the people there say about him. A friend who went to Turkey told me that there are portraits of Ataturk everywhere.
I've been to Tunisia and everything there is named after Bourguiba, from the language school I've been to (even the dorms) to the streets, even public squares and pretty much everything name-able. Tunisians remember him in a good light because he brought ''modernity'' to Tunisia. He abolished polygamy and encouraged the women to remove their hijabs. It's another question to pinpoint the degree of similarity between Bourguiba and Ataturk, and in what regards.

infestør

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
localhost
absurd comparison. not every modernizing leader is atatûrk.
there is a reason why atatûrk is held very high in turkey, he achieved something almost impossible.

meh...nevermind

Last edited:
May 2012
San Diego, CA
Tunusia would be in very different position if they had Ataturk. Doing few reforms doesn't make you Ataturk. As infestor said he achieved something which was nearly impossible.

Feb 2010
Tunusia would be in very different position if they had Ataturk. Doing few reforms doesn't make you Ataturk. As infestor said he achieved something which was nearly impossible.

Tunisia after obtaining independence was in a different position than Turkey after WW1. Atatürk was a competent leader, but not some sort of a superhuman being able to make miracles. Besides, I think that the strict state imposed laïcité and westernization which Kemalists implemented in Turkey, would be simply impossible in an Arab country like Tunisia, which chose a softer form of secularism.

Feb 2010
Salafi Jihadi "Woodstock" in Tunisia.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TikEcT1DgEU&list=UUpBvIBfZ-foo5ZbLH5O0N4g&index=2&feature=plcp]Thousands of Salafis in Tunisia: Obama, We Are All Osama - YouTube[/ame]

The karate part is hilarious. Something is telling me that Tunisians are gonna have lots of fun with these people ...

Efendi

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
Anatolia
Additionally to Ayazıd, Turkey isnt a feudal country where feuda leaders ruled. except for some part of south east Anatolia where there are big and stron families.

Also reforms of Ataturk had roots in Ottoman reforms. who knows he is more succesfull than Ataturk.