Had Carthage defeated Rome in the Punic Wars, would it have created a massive Mediterranean Empire just like the Romans did?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
You said this:

It would be comparable to the spread of Greek across the Mediterranean before Alexander the Great
Which I interpreted as saying that Greek declined after Alex the Great launched his conquests. I might have misunderstood you here, though.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
You said this:

Which I interpreted as saying that Greek declined after Alex the Great launched his conquests. I might have misunderstood you here, though.
I meant the Carthaginians (after a victory over rome) would expand in a pattern similar to the Greeks before Alexander's conquests. The Greek expansion in the Mediterranean was redirected partly to Asia after Alexander.
Specifically the Carthaginians might colonize the coastlines as far east as Italy.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I meant the Carthaginians (after a victory over rome) would expand in a pattern similar to the Greeks before Alexander's conquests. The Greek expansion in the Mediterranean was redirected partly to Asia after Alexander.
Specifically the Carthaginians might colonize the coastlines as far east as Italy.
Makes sense.

BTW, what was the most prominent language in Carthage? Punic?

Similar History Discussions