Had much more European monarchies survived, would they have reformed their succession laws in favor of females?

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
Good post! That said, though, a slight correction--there were actually plenty of Romanov male agnates who were in line to the Russian throne before the Mikhailovichi when the Russian monarchy was abolished:

Line of succession to the former Russian throne - Wikipedia
You know, when you click on Alexandrovichi, they would have been out of succession line, one by one. One married a woman of royal blood but she was divorced, and his first cousin; one had a court of lovers and unmarried at that time, later marrying morganatically; one eventually married Kshesinskaya.

Ironically, the one who would have real rights around 1915 was Dmitry Pavlovich. Dutchess Olga was in love with him. The scandal related to his liaison with Felix Yusoupoff effectively destroyed that marriage.

But gives one something to think about. I thought the Tzar and the Tzarina merely liked Dmitry who was raised by Tzarina's sister Ella, but no, if you click on the previous contenders, it does seem that Dmitry Pavlovich stood the best chance of being the next Tzar.

I wonder how Russian history might have changed had Rasputin kept silent about the closeness between Felix and Dmitry. That was a huge scandal. But otherwise, Olga would have married the most reasonable in-line...

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, Mikhail Alexandrovich was out of that line because of morganatic marriage to Countess Brasova.

You assume that one has to go up Aleksandr III 's line then?
You mean Alexander II's line, no?

Have you read Paul's act? I think it stipulates, his four male kids. Do you think that they have to use all of Nicholas I' s male line before they go to up to descendants of Mikhail Pavlovich? (Probably, you are right, but this is not how the law is worded).
No, I have not read Paul's act. Thus, I could defer to your judgment here. However, what I do know is that Grand Duke Cyril was accepted as the heir to the Russian throne after the Bolshevik Revolution due to the fact that he was the most senior male agnate who was still alive after the Revolution. He was descended in the male line from Alexander III's younger brother Vladimir (with Cyril being Vladimir's oldest son).

Thus, Yes, I am tempted to think that the senior male line has to be completely exhausted before one could proceed to junior male lines. Also, as a side note, Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich actually only had five daughters and no sons:

Grand Duke Michael Pavlovich of Russia - Wikipedia

You appear to be confusing him with his nephew Grand Duke Michael Nikolaevich--who was the youngest son of his older brother Tsar Nicholas I. This confusion might stem from the fact that both Tsar Paul and Tsar Nicholas I named their four sons in exactly the same way and in the exact same order. First, there was Alexander, then Constantine, then Nicholas, and then Michael. Seriously.