Hagakure

Sep 2009
NC United States
Anyone ever read Hagakure, book of the samurai? And if you have could you give me maybe a brief summary, or you thoughts on it?

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
Wow, I had to dust off my copy to refresh myself. It was a book of little stories and philosophies regarding how a Samurai should conduct himself. It was compiled by a young Samurai in the early 1700s from conversations with a Samurai named Yamamoto Tsunetomo. This Samurai retired to become a hermit/ monk after he wasn't allowed take his own life upon the death of the Lord he served. The book is basically a compilation of several years of conversations between a young Samurai, and an elderly Samurai towards the end of his days. It reads like if you sat down with your grandfather once a week for a couple of years and wrote down everything he said in an almost diary-like format. It ends up having no true philisophical bent to it but when read as a whole, offers a great deal of advice on how a proper person,( Samurai), should conduct himself amongst his peers, loves, master, and family. When I read this post I pulled out my old copy and skimmed it, realizing I still use some of the stories in this book in accordance with my daily life. I highly recommend it.

Sep 2009
NC United States
Wow, I had to dust off my copy to refresh myself. It was a book of little stories and philosophies regarding how a Samurai should conduct himself. It was compiled by a young Samurai in the early 1700s from conversations with a Samurai named Yamamoto Tsunetomo. This Samurai retired to become a hermit/ monk after he wasn't allowed take his own life upon the death of the Lord he served. The book is basically a compilation of several years of conversations between a young Samurai, and an elderly Samurai towards the end of his days. It reads like if you sat down with your grandfather once a week for a couple of years and wrote down everything he said in an almost diary-like format. It ends up having no true philisophical bent to it but when read as a whole, offers a great deal of advice on how a proper person,( Samurai), should conduct himself amongst his peers, loves, master, and family. When I read this post I pulled out my old copy and skimmed it, realizing I still use some of the stories in this book in accordance with my daily life. I highly recommend it.

Oh i own a copy but just havent finished it. Such great philosophy, and thanks for your input i like also how you incorporate it in your life thats good :) and thanks for the summary.

DIVUS IVLIVS

Ad Honoris
Jan 2008
Virginia
Ironic, it is a book about discipline and you do not have the discipline to read it yourself. :D

Similar History Discussions History Forum Date
History Book Reviews
Asian History
Similar History Discussions
Translation of Hagakure
The Hagakure