Han Dynasty Crossbow III

HackneyedScribe

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
The Korean handheld guns that fired arrows (bores of ~1.6 and ~2.9 cm) before the 1440s as having ranges of 400-500 paces which would have been around 600-700 m. I don't think the Koreans fired both the arrows and shot at the same time.
I don't think the Shen Qiang fired both arrow and shot at the same time, it was capable of shooting both, but not at the same time. The 1415 Chinese handgonne was found with shot and sabot inside but no arrow.

I believe there's a surviving 1372 or 1373 (fifth/sixth year of Hongwu Emperor reign, i.e. before Yongle invaded Vietnam) Ming gun already with a sabot in it.
Interesting, can you provide more information and sourcing about it.

Reactions: Haakbus
Jul 2015
Japari Park
I just read about it online, will try to track it down on the specifics.

The 1372 handgonne is the earliest Ming period handgonne found. It was cast by Baoyuan ju (寶源局, more knowned for casting coins) in Nanjing. The length of the entire gun is 44.2 cm, the bore is 2.2 cm. As of yet I can't find the length of barrel, or whether it really has a sabot inside. (In other words, that this with a grain of salt)

Last edited:
Jul 2015
Japari Park
New update:
While I still cannot find the details about Hongwu handgonne, I got into contact with the owner of Ming military blog. He said he is in the process of correcting/updating the article about Shen Qiang, because other info seems to contradict his article. He said there is an entry of manufacturing of wooden sabot from Hongwu period, found in Ming Huidian.

Reactions: HackneyedScribe