Harappa civilisation

May 2008
Slovakia
Harappa civilisation was an ancient civilisation along the river Indus that supposedly once founded a large empire in modern-day Pakistan/India.
They are said to have known the Pytagorean principle about 1500 years before Pytagoras, the decimal numeral system and so on. Their cities were build in a highly organised manner and they had sewes and modern-looking toilets.

Their origin still remains unknown and their script still isn't deciphered. Linguists suggest that they come from the Dravidian language group.

I couldn't find such thread on this forum so I decided to make one. I think it is one of the most mythical and interesting civilisations of all time. I'd like to hear your opinions and I'd like you to share your knowledge.

Comet

Forum Staff
Aug 2006
IA
Harappa civilisation was an ancient civilisation along the river Indus that supposedly once founded a large empire in modern-day Pakistan/India.
They are said to have known the Pytagorean principle about 1500 years before Pytagoras, the decimal numeral system and so on. Their cities were build in a highly organised manner and they had sewes and modern-looking toilets.

Their origin still remains unknown and their script still isn't deciphered. Linguists suggest that they come from the Dravidian language group.

I couldn't find such thread on this forum so I decided to make one. I think it is one of the most mythical and interesting civilisations of all time. I'd like to hear your opinions and I'd like you to share your knowledge.
I remember teaching this earlier in the year. The big mystery was what had happened to the ancient city of Mohenjo-Daro. An interesting civilization to look at...but I don't think there is much to go on...of course, we didn't study it in depth so I guess I wouldn't know.

Jun 2008
India
The earliest solid evidence tells us that the Indus Valley Civilization was there from before 3000 BC and their cities were so elegantly planned that many say even the Romans could not compete with them. It is said that their demise was caused by invading nomadic tribes from the North.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Aren't Mojeno-Daro and Harrappa built of kiln-dried brick (as opposed to sun-dried brick)? But that area doesn't have a lot of forests to supply the wood for the kilns.

There is the thought that at the time of the rise of the Indus civilization, the valleys were full of trees. They were cut down to fuel the brick kilns to build the cities. Then the eco-system collapsed because the forests had been devastated, and the area could no longer support the population and the cities emptied out. And that's the way the invading nomadic tribes found them.

May 2008
Slovakia
That's an interesting thought. I've run into a similar one dealing with the Middle East, the area of Levant. It was said that millennia ago the area was full of trees, but as the people felled them, they new ones couldn't grow bacause of the goats that gnawed at the young trees.

Oct 2015
India
Lothal (2400-1600 BCE): 800 Years of History

A first hand report from a historian visiting Lothal (Gujarat, India) which was part of Harappan Civilization:

• Both Lothal and Mohan-jo-daro mean 'Mound of the Dead' in respective local languages. [May be people noticed ruins of these ancient cities and exposed burial items.]
  • Bricks don't look 4400 years old but may be a hundred years old.
  • It has a dockyard.
  • Traded with Iraq / Iran since Harappan seals have been found there as well as ornaments.
  • More points in article.

In one of India’s oldest port cities

Sep 2014
Texas
OK I'm not as knowlegable as you good people, but when I read something that implied it may have been destroyed by unnatural means, my thought was This could be the original source of the Sodom Gommorah legend. A fire from the sky destroyed the city. I always see things naturally so to me it was an asteroid strike or several smaller ones. But when big powerful cities disappear, I can not believe they would be forgotten....like I really do believe the Hittite capital's destruction was the original Troy. I mean these stories are universal among the IE religions.

Oct 2015
India
Unlikely @bedb .

Firstly a distance of about 4000 kilometres separated the two geographies. Sodom & Gommorah were on Jordan River, somewhere near present Jordan. Harappan civilization flourished in present day Pakistan & India.

Secondly, Harappan cities have been excavated and studied. No asteroid hits or destruction by fire has been found. Mostly likely they declined due to climatic change.

Sep 2014
Texas
Unlikely @bedb .

Firstly a distance of about 4000 kilometres separated the two geographies. Sodom & Gommorah were on Jordan River, somewhere near present Jordan. Harappan civilization flourished in present day Pakistan & India.

Secondly, Harappan cities have been excavated and studied. No asteroid hits or destruction by fire has been found. Mostly likely they declined due to climatic change.
I remember all sorts of crazy theories.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia

There is a bit of discussion about it in the Asian History forum .

My favorite " most mythical and interesting civilisations of all time " :

Central Asia's Lost Civilization
The unveiling of a 4,000-year-old civilization calls into question conventional ideas about ancient culture, trade, and religion.

Central Asia's Lost Civilization | DiscoverMagazine.com

1548127693387.png

1548127463465.png

Similar History Discussions