Harari's Homo Sapiens / Homo Deus

Feb 2019
netherlands
Hello all,
I quite liked Harari's books (Homo Sapiens & Deus; see bibliography for references). For me as a student of history, I've never seen this kind of approach during my studies. While reading, I admired his style and his insight, but I grew somewhat critical of his understanding of the use of the word religion, which he seems to apply to many things, such as money, banks etc. But I struggle to formulate a proper critique.
I also quite liked his book about the future (Homo Deus), in which he outlines things such as automation, but again, I was so sucked into the book and his insight that I struggled to find any points to critique, but at the same time it felt superficial at some points.

What did you think of the books? Do you agree that it somehow is superficial in its terminology?

Books:
Harari, Homo Sapiens. A Brief History of Humankind, 2014.
Harari, J. N., Homo Deus. A Brief History of Tomorrow, 2016.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
thanks for pointing out this work , I'm reading about it now
I like the basic premise that homo sapiens ability to co-operate in large number is a critical factor in its supremacy

Jan 2011
FRANCE
I have read Homo Deus and am reading now Homo Sapiens. I like very much the approach of the author who demystifies our common culture. I quite agree with his definition of religion even if it is striking.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
I have read Homo Deus and am reading now Homo Sapiens. I like very much the approach of the author who demystifies our common culture. I quite agree with his definition of religion even if it is striking.
Well said. He explains quite a bit in just one book. I always recommend Sapiens.... haven't finished Deus