Harkis: the last colonial crime in Algeria

Yorgos

Ad Honorem
Jun 2010
1962: Algeria kicks French rule, after a terrible war and after the sacrifice of thousands of lives to gain independence, Algeria is, finally, a free nation.

What would happen though with Europeans living in Algeria? And what would happen with those Algerians who fought against independence and formed very important military units, called Harkis?

De Gaulle does whatever is needed to bring to France all Europeans. But, Harkis are left in Algeria. When torture, summary executions and massacres as the one in Sétif have marked for two decades the people of Algeria, and when Harkis is the synonym of traitor, this means that those people who did the wrong choice to support the ennemy are left to a tragic faith. No place for them in France, despite their engagement in its army, no place for them in Free Algeria, where they are just traitors.

France used them against their own and then abandoned them in their faith.
Perhaps it is the last colonial crime of France in Algeria.

Is there any Algerians or French who have something to say about that? I would be very interesting to read you!

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
This is a real stain on the reputation of de Gaulle, he simply didn't care about them and wanted to keep them out, being concerned only about what he conceived as being in the interests of France; the shadow side of a certain kind of nationalistic Realpolitik.

Yorgos

Ad Honorem
Jun 2010
This is a real stain on the reputation of de Gaulle, he simply didn't care about them and wanted to keep them out, being concerned only about what he conceived as being in the interests of France; the shadow side of a certain kind of nationalistic Realpolitik.
De Gaulle was pretty racist against Arabs. THis is one of his major decisions that went to this direction. But even now, France (and Algeria) have still a srong embarassement when it comes to the Harkis. I have the impression that every French politician would definitely preferr that the question disapears magically, Unfortunately for them, it is a big stain, as you said and they just remain silent, hiding under the carpet the faith of those people. De Gaulle took a shameful decision, but that made others very confortable with that, as they just do nothing. It is less dirty not to correct than to commit a crime...

Apr 2012
Thank you YORGOS for retracing this tragic and unforgotten Algerian war , you have mentioned the events of Setif do you mean the Slaughter of the french colonial power of 45.000 Civilians on the 08th of May 1945 in Setif- Guelma and Kherrata as for the HARKIS in my own opinion their new generations have nothing to do with the "choice" of their Ancestors and therefore should not be blamed nor punished for a sin they have not commited!!!!

Sep 2006
Korea (but I'm American!)
Absolutely racist. I cant believe the French, after experiencing conquest at the hands of Germany went and continued doing the same to others.

Mar 2011
How ironic, given that France has subsequently accepted into France many Algerians who are the complete antithesis of the ones they rejected.

Yorgos

Ad Honorem
Jun 2010
Thank you YORGOS for retracing this tragic and unforgotten Algerian war , you have mentioned the events of Setif do you mean the Slaughter of the french colonial power of 45.000 Civilians on the 08th of May 1945 in Setif- Guelma and Kherrata as for the HARKIS in my own opinion their new generations have nothing to do with the "choice" of their Ancestors and therefore should not be blamed nor punished for a sin they have not commited!!!!
Thank you! I am glad to read an Algerian in this so sensible for your people cause.

I did refer to the massacres that started in Sétif on the 8th of May. Even France recognizes now that those massacres caused the death of 8-10 thousands Algerians. I believe that the number of 40,000 is to be reviewed, but one thing is for sure: the horrible of the massacres could not be more repugnant.

The Harkis were not to left abandoned. They have chosen wrong, they were traitors, they killed their own people, but in civil wars, because the Algerian revolution was also a civil war (Harkis-FLN/ALN-MNA), crimes happen. General amnesty of Evian treat should include them too. If France abandoned those who fought for it, against their own nation, Algeria should have been over short-viewed circumstances and include them to the Republic.

Certainly, France's abandon of Harkis was just another colonialist crime, a shameful act of racism. But, even though it is understandable that Algerians had any reason to hate traitors, liberation should include them too, let alone their innocent children. They had a place in free Algeria.

Nobody is totally right, my friend. Except those who died in Sétif.

Apr 2012
Dear YORGOS
How both discusting and heart stricken are the mischief of Chairman of the rascit right wing Front National of Jean Marie Le Pen , the "heros" of this article!!!!
History will not forget...

The dagger of Jean-Marie Le Pen. | Raphael Dallaporta for Mondeau The morning of March 3, 1957, Mohamed Cherif Moulay, 12, discovers a dagger in the entrance hall of the family home in the Algiers Casbah. Attached to a khaki belt, the gun lying in a dark corner. This is an oversight of the French paratroopers who submitted the night before his father to "question". Moulay Ahmed, 42, was tortured with water and electricity, in the presence of his six children and his wife, before being completed in a hail of machine gun fire. The sufferer has the mouth corners slashed with a knife. A military statement announcing he was shot while trying to escape. When it finds the dagger, Mohamed Cherif Moulay hides in the closet on the electricity meter of the entrance.
The paratroopers returned twice the following day, put the house ransacked. For nothing. The child is silent. Moulay Rania, she went to the police station to complain. He said: "Your husband died during a settling of accounts between fellahin." Learning episode, a white father, Father Nicolas, indignant and intervenes. The police eventually open an investigation. "To be forced to admit that it was not fellaghas but the French soldiers who had killed my father, I gave the khaki belt, but not the dagger which I detached from the belt and kept, "recalls Mohamed Moulay Cherif, who is now 67 years old. The survey will never succeed.

The knife landed in the buffet dining room of Moulay. He remained there until April 2003, when the Special Envoy of the World in Algiers managed to bring back to France. This exhibit will be presented to the 17th room at the libel suit brought by Jean-Marie Le Pen against Le Monde, on 15 May.
Hardened steel, 25 inches long and 2.5 centimeters wide, this is a knife of the type used by the Hitler Youth, manufactured by German cutlers of the Ruhr, according to survey journalist Sorj Chalandon. The blade bears the name of JA Henckels, Solingen manufacturer. The handle, partly covered with black bakelite, is inlaid with a diamond whose crest has fallen in the 1970s, by dint of having been handled by children Moulay. On the sheath of the dagger, it reads: J. Mr. Le Pen, the first REP.
This article is from the Special Edition of the World: "War in Algeria. Parallel memories", available in bookstores and in the shop of Monde.fr.
Florence Beauge
*Original Article in French:
Guerre d'Algérie : le poignard de Le Pen

Le Monde.fr | 16.03.2012 à 13h06 • Mis à jour le 17.03.2012 à 17h34

Le poignard de Jean-Marie Le Pen. | Raphael Dallaporta pour Le Monde
Au matin du 3 mars 1957, Mohamed Cherif Moulay, 12 ans, découvre un poignard dans le couloir d'entrée de la maison familiale, dans la Casbah d'Alger. Accrochée à une ceinture de couleur kaki, l'arme gît dans un recoin obscur. C'est un oubli des parachutistes français qui ont soumis la nuit précédente son père à "la question". Ahmed Moulay, 42 ans, a été torturé à l'eau et l'électricité, en présence de ses six enfants et de son épouse, avant d'être achevé d'une rafale de mitraillette. Le supplicié a les commissures des lèvres tailladées au couteau. Un communiqué de l'armée annoncera qu'il a été abattu alors qu'il tentait de s'enfuir. Quand il trouve ce poignard, Mohamed Cherif Moulay le cache dans le placard du compteur électrique de l'entrée.
Les parachutistes reviennent à deux reprises, les jours suivants, mettent la maison à sac. Pour rien. L'enfant se tait. Rania Moulay, elle, se rend au commissariat pour porter plainte. On lui dit : "Votre mari est mort au cours d'un règlement de comptes entre fellaghas." Apprenant l'épisode, un père blanc, le père Nicolas, s'indigne et intervient. Les gendarmes finissent par ouvrir une enquête. "Pour qu'ils soient obligés d'admettre que ce n'était pas des fellaghas mais des militaires français qui avaient tué mon père, je leur ai donné la ceinture de toile kaki, mais pas le poignard que j'ai détaché de la ceinture et gardé", se souvient Mohamed Cherif Moulay, âgé aujourd'hui de 67 ans. L'enquête n'aboutira jamais.
Le poignard atterrit dans le buffet de la salle à manger des Moulay. Il y restera jusqu'en avril 2003, date à laquelle l'envoyée spéciale du Monde à Alger réussit à le rapporter en France. Cette pièce à conviction sera présentée à la 17e chambre, lors du procès en diffamation intenté par Jean-Marie Le Pen contre Le Monde, le 15 mai suivant.
En acier trempé, long de 25 centimètres et large de 2,5 centimètres, il s'agit d'un couteau du type de ceux qu'utilisaient les Jeunesses hitlériennes, fabriqué par des couteliers allemands de la Ruhr, selon l'enquête menée par le journaliste Sorj Chalandon. La lame porte le nom de J.A. Henckels, fabricant à Solingen. Le manche, en partie recouvert de bakélite noire, est incrusté d'un losange dont l'écusson est tombé dans les années 1970, à force d'avoir été manipulé par les enfants Moulay. Sur le fourreau de ce poignard, on peut lire : J. M. Le Pen, 1er REP.
Cet article est tiré du Hors-Série du Monde : "Guerre d'Algérie. Mémoires parallèles", disponible en librairie et dans la boutique du Monde.fr.
Florence Beaugé

Apr 2012
Dear YORGOS
How both discusting and heart stricken are the mischief of Chairman of the rascit right wing Front National of Jean Marie Le Pen , the "heros" of this article!!!!
History will not forget...

The dagger of Jean-Marie Le Pen. | Raphael Dallaporta for Mondeau The morning of March 3, 1957, Mohamed Cherif Moulay, 12, discovers a dagger in the entrance hall of the family home in the Algiers Casbah. Attached to a khaki belt, the gun lying in a dark corner. This is an oversight of the French paratroopers who submitted the night before his father to "question". Moulay Ahmed, 42, was tortured with water and electricity, in the presence of his six children and his wife, before being completed in a hail of machine gun fire. The sufferer has the mouth corners slashed with a knife. A military statement announcing he was shot while trying to escape. When it finds the dagger, Mohamed Cherif Moulay hides in the closet on the electricity meter of the entrance.
The paratroopers returned twice the following day, put the house ransacked. For nothing. The child is silent. Moulay Rania, she went to the police station to complain. He said: "Your husband died during a settling of accounts between fellahin." Learning episode, a white father, Father Nicolas, indignant and intervenes. The police eventually open an investigation. "To be forced to admit that it was not fellaghas but the French soldiers who had killed my father, I gave the khaki belt, but not the dagger which I detached from the belt and kept, "recalls Mohamed Moulay Cherif, who is now 67 years old. The survey will never succeed.

The knife landed in the buffet dining room of Moulay. He remained there until April 2003, when the Special Envoy of the World in Algiers managed to bring back to France. This exhibit will be presented to the 17th room at the libel suit brought by Jean-Marie Le Pen against Le Monde, on 15 May.
Hardened steel, 25 inches long and 2.5 centimeters wide, this is a knife of the type used by the Hitler Youth, manufactured by German cutlers of the Ruhr, according to survey journalist Sorj Chalandon. The blade bears the name of JA Henckels, Solingen manufacturer. The handle, partly covered with black bakelite, is inlaid with a diamond whose crest has fallen in the 1970s, by dint of having been handled by children Moulay. On the sheath of the dagger, it reads: J. Mr. Le Pen, the first REP.
This article is from the Special Edition of the World: "War in Algeria. Parallel memories", available in bookstores and in the shop of Monde.fr.
Florence Beauge
*Original Article in French:
Guerre d'Algérie : le poignard de Le Pen

Le Monde.fr | 16.03.2012 à 13h06 • Mis à jour le 17.03.2012 à 17h34​

Le poignard de Jean-Marie Le Pen. | Raphael Dallaporta pour Le Monde​

Au matin du 3 mars 1957, Mohamed Cherif Moulay, 12 ans, découvre un poignard dans le couloir d'entrée de la maison familiale, dans la Casbah d'Alger. Accrochée à une ceinture de couleur kaki, l'arme gît dans un recoin obscur. C'est un oubli des parachutistes français qui ont soumis la nuit précédente son père à "la question". Ahmed Moulay, 42 ans, a été torturé à l'eau et l'électricité, en présence de ses six enfants et de son épouse, avant d'être achevé d'une rafale de mitraillette. Le supplicié a les commissures des lèvres tailladées au couteau. Un communiqué de l'armée annoncera qu'il a été abattu alors qu'il tentait de s'enfuir. Quand il trouve ce poignard, Mohamed Cherif Moulay le cache dans le placard du compteur électrique de l'entrée.
Les parachutistes reviennent à deux reprises, les jours suivants, mettent la maison à sac. Pour rien. L'enfant se tait. Rania Moulay, elle, se rend au commissariat pour porter plainte. On lui dit : "Votre mari est mort au cours d'un règlement de comptes entre fellaghas." Apprenant l'épisode, un père blanc, le père Nicolas, s'indigne et intervient. Les gendarmes finissent par ouvrir une enquête. "Pour qu'ils soient obligés d'admettre que ce n'était pas des fellaghas mais des militaires français qui avaient tué mon père, je leur ai donné la ceinture de toile kaki, mais pas le poignard que j'ai détaché de la ceinture et gardé", se souvient Mohamed Cherif Moulay, âgé aujourd'hui de 67 ans. L'enquête n'aboutira jamais.
Le poignard atterrit dans le buffet de la salle à manger des Moulay. Il y restera jusqu'en avril 2003, date à laquelle l'envoyée spéciale du Monde à Alger réussit à le rapporter en France. Cette pièce à conviction sera présentée à la 17e chambre, lors du procès en diffamation intenté par Jean-Marie Le Pen contre Le Monde, le 15 mai suivant.
En acier trempé, long de 25 centimètres et large de 2,5 centimètres, il s'agit d'un couteau du type de ceux qu'utilisaient les Jeunesses hitlériennes, fabriqué par des couteliers allemands de la Ruhr, selon l'enquête menée par le journaliste Sorj Chalandon. La lame porte le nom de J.A. Henckels, fabricant à Solingen. Le manche, en partie recouvert de bakélite noire, est incrusté d'un losange dont l'écusson est tombé dans les années 1970, à force d'avoir été manipulé par les enfants Moulay. Sur le fourreau de ce poignard, on peut lire : J. M. Le Pen, 1er REP.
Cet article est tiré du Hors-Série du Monde : "Guerre d'Algérie. Mémoires parallèles", disponible en librairie et dans la boutique du Monde.fr.
Florence Beaugé

clement

Ad Honorem
Jun 2011
California, USA
France used them against their own and then abandoned them in their faith.
Perhaps it is the last colonial crime of France in Algeria.

Is there any Algerians or French who have something to say about that? I would be very interesting to read you!
This is shameful, i must admit. However, i'm surprised that you blame solely the French and not the actual murderers of the Harkis and criminals against humaity, the Algerian FLN (who btw murdered much more Algerians than French, and civilians than soldiers).

I did refer to the massacres that started in Sétif on the 8th of May. Even France recognizes now that those massacres caused the death of 8-10 thousands Algerians. I believe that the number of 40,000 is to be reviewed, but one thing is for sure: the horrible of the massacres could not be more repugnant.
The massacres started because one hundred european Algerians were killed first. Of course, the reaction was savage and completely disproportionate, i do not deny this, but i just wanted to mention a fact that has been (as often) ignored.