Has America already reached its apex and is currently declining?

Mar 2016
Scarborough
America currently pretty much resembles an imperial power, controlling the affairs of many world governments through military and covert power as well as economic stranglehold on their economy. is america currently in decline like the ancient empires of Rome, Persia, Qing, Ottomans and more recently the Soviets?

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
It's going to remain one of the largest economic powers for the forseaeble future, and unless there are drastic cuts to the military, one of the dominant military powers. Both translate into international political influence.

That said the world is currently in a transition from a period with one superpower, to two. (China)

Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
^why do you think China can grab it when Russia is there?

Anyway, the U.S. haven't been in the apex of its success. It is only the country that possess the best arsenal. China came too late since the measure of power is victory in war. No matter what happens, power is brute force not a smiling face of a rich man. Even if the society is so civilized, the wealthy needs private army to be protected from criminals. Bottom line is the nation that has the best military rules. The shift is not happening yet.

Sep 2012
India
The Govt.of Saudi Arabia recently threatened the Govt.of USA that they will withdraw 750 Billion US $from US banks if the threatened resolution of investigating Saudi Role in 9/11 incident is carried in the US Congress. Is this a sign of an Imperial power having economic control over other countries ? Whether or not, the Saudi s are capable of carrying out this threat or not is immaterial. The very fact that they did threaten the Govt.of USA itself shows that the USA has lost its clout with the Saudi s. Even the dictator of North Korea threatens USA with nuclear missiles. The days of post -WW 2 when USA had emerged as a world power are over.

Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
^Okay, words are spoken. Have you ever seen any Saudi military base in the U.S.? The Americans have their boots in the holy land of Mohamed and their female infantry servicemen are driving cars wearing shorts in a nation where such is a violation and is severely punished. Now in that regard tell me which nation is powerful and trashes the laws of the other?

oshron

Ad Honorem
Jun 2009
western Terranova
It's going to remain one of the largest economic powers for the forseaeble future, and unless there are drastic cuts to the military, one of the dominant military powers. Both translate into international political influence.

That said the world is currently in a transition from a period with one superpower, to two. (China)
or India, depending on who you talk to ;) for the record, the other projected superpowers are Brazil, Russia, and the European Union as a whole, and i've heard guesses that Nigeria (among some others that i can't recall atm) could become a new great power

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
The Govt.of Saudi Arabia recently threatened the Govt.of USA that they will withdraw 750 Billion US $from US banks if the threatened resolution of investigating Saudi Role in 9/11 incident is carried in the US Congress. Is this a sign of an Imperial power having economic control over other countries ? Whether or not, the Saudi s are capable of carrying out this threat or not is immaterial. The very fact that they did threaten the Govt.of USA itself shows that the USA has lost its clout with the Saudi s. Even the dictator of North Korea threatens USA with nuclear missiles. The days of post -WW 2 when USA had emerged as a world power are over.
What you write it is terrible if it is truth... Are USA an Arabia Saudi´s purppet States? I don´t know why West Countries fear Saudi Arabia...It is not Soviet Union or China or India.. from a military point of view.. lacked of chances in a Nuclear total War against Europe. Where are the Military capacities for Saudi Arabia?

Dec 2014
Italy
America currently pretty much resembles an imperial power, controlling the affairs of many world governments through military and covert power as well as economic stranglehold on their economy. is america currently in decline like the ancient empires of Rome, Persia, Qing, Ottomans and more recently the Soviets?
I think ... yes ... Maybe within 20 years ... the world power will be China ... And I will not happy ... because Chinese haven't a Chinese John Wyane or a Chinese John Ford. :)

Talking about economic and political affairs ... you are right when you compare the Unites States with ancient Rome ... Struggles for power ... a "tired society" ... politicians without ideas ... These are always the causes of an empire fall.

I also think this decline began from Ronald Reagan on ... since early 1980s ... slowly.

On the contrary ... in 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s ... the United States enjoyed a good prestige around the world ... I think those decades have been the apex of the United States development (economic, cultural, social, and political), though the problems of that age.

Sep 2012
India
What you write it is terrible if it is truth... Are USA an Arabia Saudi´s purppet States? I don´t know why West Countries fear Saudi Arabia...It is not Soviet Union or China or India.. from a military point of view.. lacked of chances in a Nuclear total War against Europe. Where are the Military capacities for Saudi Arabia?
The Saudis have a good air force well equipped with the latest variants of fighter planes from the USA. And Pakistan can equip them with nuclear warhead tipped missiles, if the Saudi s want. Of course, the Saudi s will never think of armed action against even the Israeli s, let alone the USA. But the clout has gone.

Sep 2012
India
^Okay, words are spoken. Have you ever seen any Saudi military base in the U.S.? The Americans have their boots in the holy land of Mohamed and their female infantry servicemen are driving cars wearing shorts in a nation where such is a violation and is severely punished. Now in that regard tell me which nation is powerful and trashes the laws of the other?
The USA armed forces are not known for consideration for the sensibilities of the country they are having their camps on. Sorry I had to break off for lunch. But my point is they may or may mot care for Saudi laws, the Saudi s too are bound to be discrete with a long time business associate and a country where their money is invested. Yet, as I repeat that the very fact that the Saudi s threatened the USA, is a clear signal that the clout of USA has weakened.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions