Has any country in the world ever assembled a more talented military high command than the French did in the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars?

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Basically. The British didn't have the manpower and the French never recovered from the 1917 mutinies. If the war had continued til 1919, the AEF would be the largest and best equipped Army in Europe. Read Geoffrey Wawro's Sons of Freedom.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
It didnlt continue into 1919. The AEF was mostly equiped by the French and the British. AEF did little of the actual fighting. It's actual impact as a fighting force was small.

It;'s leadership was sub standard , badly trained, inexperince, pushing the amuulded and confused doctrine.

It's has no cleim in this thread.

Jan 2019
Kent, England
Also, there were nearly a million British and French troops on their way back to the Western front from Salonika when the war ended, and the British had several hundred-thousand troops at home, so the Allies would have had ample troops in 1919, even if not a single American soldier had arrived in France.

Jul 2017
France
Basically. The British didn't have the manpower and the French never recovered from the 1917 mutinies. If the war had continued til 1919, the AEF would be the largest and best equipped Army in Europe. Read Geoffrey Wawro's Sons of Freedom.

It's a joke? the French army in 1918 was the most powerful in the world, it inflicts the most casualties on the Germans and has the best tanks (Renault FT)

it was the French who crushed the Germans at the Second Battle of the Marne in 1918 Second Battle of the Marne - Wikipedia

Attachments

It's a joke? the French army in 1918 was the most powerful in the world, it inflicts the most casualties on the Germans and has the best tanks (Renault FT)

it was the French who crushed the Germans at the Second Battle of the Marne in 1918 Second Battle of the Marne - Wikipedia
Nope. It was the United States Marines at the Belleau Wood that turned the tide of the war. And the 3rd Infantry Division, "The Rock of the Marne," at Second Marne.

And the REAL black day of the German Army wasn't til October 1918, when the AEF resumed the offensive in the Argonne.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Nope. It was the United States Marines at the Belleau Wood that turned the tide of the war. And the 3rd Infantry Division, "The Rock of the Marne," at Second Marne.

And the REAL black day of the German Army wasn't til October 1918, when the AEF resumed the offensive in the Argonne.

Delusional fiction. Nationalist fairy tales.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011

None of that really mattered in larger picture of the fighting in 1918.

It proved the AEF could fight, which was a good thing. It didn't defeat the Germans.

If anything the Germans were shocked the Americans were willing to allow themselves to get killed pointlessly. Which was a kind of upside.

Except if WWI in 1918 had been fought like the AEF did it, Germany would never have been defeated.

St Quention canal and Mont d'Origny, and it wasn't the AEF.

Apr 2014
Istanbul Turkey
Red Army in 1943 - 1945 (Marsalls like Zhukov , Koniev , Rokossovsky , Malinovsky , Vatutin , Meretskov were way better than any of Napoleonic French field marshalls )

Wehrmacht in 1939-44 (best operational method and tactical skill )

(a different arm I know ) Royal Navy during age of sail from 17th Century to 20th Century (Admirals Nelson , Collingwood , Duckworth , Sidney Smith , Cochrane , Saumarez etc)

Last edited:
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Basically. The British didn't have the manpower and the French never recovered from the 1917 mutinies.
The problem with this comment is that for anyone who has actually read any good books on the subject knows that both Britain and France launched huge and successful attacks in 1918.

If the war had continued til 1919, the AEF would be the largest and best equipped Army in Europe.
True and its what the AEF would have done in 1919 or later rather than what they did do in 1918 that is their main contribution to WWI

Read Geoffrey Wawro's Sons of Freedom.

There is a great deal of much better books out there than that one.

Now apart from your usual nationalist rants you haven't addressed the question why on earth would the AEF of WWI be considered to be the best collection of military talent?

Similar History Discussions